predator control

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JackKnifeJake

predator control

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:56 am

i have seen a lot of coyote sign where i hunt. I was wondering what some thoughts would be on trying to trap them to dispatch them. would trapping the land i plan to hunt put too much scent around and scare the deer off? would the positives outweigh the negatives?

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: predator control

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:36 am

probably not in the off season. where are you located? in WI, you have to take a trappers seminar before you can trap I believe and also have to check your traps daily. I don't have the time, so I would try to hunt them with a gun in my spare time rather than trap.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:32 pm

JackKnifeJake wrote:i have seen a lot of coyote sign where i hunt. I was wondering what some thoughts would be on trying to trap them to dispatch them. would trapping the land i plan to hunt put too much scent around and scare the deer off? would the positives outweigh the negatives?

Is snaring allowed in your state?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Im in Virginia where you can snare but only on private land. I saw a pack while hunting this year and missed one with my bow. you can bait but it cant be seen from above. ive been out scouting this week and have seen a lot of turds so i was just wondering if trying to take them out would do any good or if all the extra activity would scare the deer off.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Around my parts hunters and trappers try to harvest as many as they can no matter how they have to do it. They have gotten quite thick around here the past few years and its truly shown. As a trapper I've got landowners practically begging me to come trap votes for them. Getting rid of them entirely in a area is almost impossible as they have great hunting ranges that stretch for miles and they are very smart and hard to kill no matter how many years you have been hunting or trapping them. But I would certainly try to thin them out if there causing havoc in your area. As far as scaring deer off I wouldn't worry to much about that either. A lot of times I trap properties during deer season and it doesn't seem to affect the hunting. Just keep in mind traps have to be checked daily.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 am

Theres a hunting season on them that goes into April and then again in June on public land wmas. I think the trapping season runs until the end of Feb. Thinking about putting out a gut pile or carcass and blasting them with a night vision scope.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”