Chainsaw Travel Corridors for Deer

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Chainsaw Travel Corridors for Deer

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:31 am

Another great blog post by Jeff Sturgis

http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.co ... dors-deer/

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Chainsaw Travel Corridors for Deer

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:55 am

Very interesting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:25 am

I did the same thing roughly 6 years ago on the lease I hunt... it works awesome! You can direct deer movement to where you want them to go... the trick is to do nothing random. Have a plan of how you want the deer to work from bedding to food via your created travel routes. Remember too, deer love edge, so if you can create a clean travel cooridor through grass or brush, pines, timber etc.... deer will flock to it!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:59 am

I have always been interested in this. I have also always been to chicken to do it haha afraid I will do it wrong.A lot of time has been spent looking at maps of our farm debating what would be best.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:08 am

I've done quite a bit of this myself but please boys and girls wear your PPE in the woods. I cringe seeing stuff like this where people aren't wearing hardhat and chaps in the woods you're asking for it! Anyway it works awesome. I often couple TSI or hinge cutting with centering it around major trail intersections. Like where 4 or 5 trails intersect. Its also nice to create single entrance points into high traffic areas by falling one large tree and cutting one small opening in the fence so to speak.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 am

Bigburner wrote:I've done quite a bit of this myself but please boys and girls wear your PPE in the woods. I cringe seeing stuff like this where people aren't wearing hardhat and chaps in the woods you're asking for it! Anyway it works awesome. I often couple TSI or hinge cutting with centering it around major trail intersections. Like where 4 or 5 trails intersect. Its also nice to create single entrance points into high traffic areas by falling one large tree and cutting one small opening in the fence so to speak.

Hey...is there a pic with someone using a saw with no chaps and helmet I am missing? Wanted to make sure that you weren't referring to a pic in my article or something.

I appreciate the feedback guys!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:52 am

jeff Sturgis wrote:
Bigburner wrote:I've done quite a bit of this myself but please boys and girls wear your PPE in the woods. I cringe seeing stuff like this where people aren't wearing hardhat and chaps in the woods you're asking for it! Anyway it works awesome. I often couple TSI or hinge cutting with centering it around major trail intersections. Like where 4 or 5 trails intersect. Its also nice to create single entrance points into high traffic areas by falling one large tree and cutting one small opening in the fence so to speak.

Hey...is there a pic with someone using a saw with no chaps and helmet I am missing? Wanted to make sure that you weren't referring to a pic in my article or something.

No Jeff, saw that you covered the basis but I often see quite a few articles and web site talking about such projects and you see guys out there laying waste without taking precaution. I was a logger for many years and am still currently a wildland firefighter and have seen some gnarly accidents/deaths as well as too many close calls to count on my part regardless of my experience. Just trying to keep everyones head in the game. Great info on your part, so no references towards your article. Keep up the good work!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:51 am

Bigburner wrote:
jeff Sturgis wrote:

No Jeff, saw that you covered the basis but I often see quite a few articles and web site talking about such projects and you see guys out there laying waste without taking precaution. I was a logger for many years and am still currently a wildland firefighter and have seen some gnarly accidents/deaths as well as too many close calls to count on my part regardless of my experience. Just trying to keep everyones head in the game. Great info on your part, so no references towards your article. Keep up the good work!

I should have checked this sooner! I totally understand where you are coming from. I have seen a lot of guys with injuries. It always amazes me how many guyshelmet who have injuries. Pretty scary when guys cut without chaps, helmet and eye protection...all a must!

Also I appreciate your comments too...thanks a lot!

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:57 am

I should probably pick up a hard hat.

I use everything else: Chaps, steel toes, ear protection, eye protection, gloves, sharp saw....never considered a threat to my head. Thanks for the reminder.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:51 am

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”