Minimum acreage for 2 hunters

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Minimum acreage for 2 hunters

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:37 am

Was looking in my area for some land to lease for my brother and I to hunt. We both exclusively Bowhunt. What do you think would be the minimum acreage of hunt able, I.e., actually in a tree stand, land needed for 2 guys that are strictly deer hunting. This would be for does and mature bucks only.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ozzz

Re: Minimum acreage for 2 hunters

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:42 am

I dont think there is a cut and dry answer.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 am

ozzz wrote:I dont think there is a cut and dry answer.

Agreed! Amount of hunts, aggressive the hunts, and quality of area are a few of the determining factors impacting the answer

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:03 am

So many dynamics to a piece of ground and more importantly the surrounding area.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 am

Good access and wind selections for selected ambush points would help decipher somewhat, but probably never enough acreage would be my answer...
The lower the impact the better - IMO

It worsens when you throw an age factor like +3.5 or older bucks...

If it were to just kill a deer; I have one 25-acre property that is about 15-acres of huntable land (once you take in account the home) and I see deer on it nearly every sit.
I consider this either my rut spot ,due to the Doe's, or meat land if I get antsy...
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 am

As far as a general rule of thumb, it's 1-2 hunters per 40 acres assuming good habitat and smart pressure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:03 am

I was thinking 100 so it's good to read 40. We have been looking for primarily wooded property as there is so much agriculture around its not really needed. Was just curious. We both are low impact hunters and looking to have the ability to not over hunt whatever property we find. Good thing is we have other spots too.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:08 am

Me and Dave hunted our 70 acres about 3 times each this year... Plenty of space... But two guys on 350 acres of the same habitat hunting 3 times a week each, would be to much... Its all relative to how much you pound it, and how it lays out for access.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:49 am

if you use the two man ladder stands, you can hunt twice as much. :mrgreen:
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 am

My buddy and his dad own 80 acres here in NY, but between the 2 of them there is probably someone hunting 3-4 days a week on that ground. Their deer sightings have gone down dramatically since the 1st season. As others have said, pressure and smart hunting is key. I have 1/2 dozen different private parcels I can hunt within 20 minutes of me. Some of the spots are <20 acres and the biggest is a couple of hundred. I didn't hunt any one of those individual parcels more than 5 times each all season. Some I barely hunted at all because of lack of bucks on cameras or good buck sign. Having more than one option is very helpful.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:42 am

Depends on how it's laid out and how many hunt able spots and the wind conditions needed to hunt it. I hunt a spot 2 or 3 times TOPS per year. If you mix in public land hunts too you can get by with less land. I would say for an average person to hunt 15 to 20 hunts would need 250 acres, so double that for 2 people. I have access to a farm with about 800 acres, about 150-200 wooded and I don't have near enough spots for me to exclusively hunt it, and that's just me.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 am

I hunt a few small farms the tougher the farm is to hunt the better the hunting. I am not the only hunter on any of the properties I hunt. One guy hunting every day will burn a good chunk of ground up. The longer you hunt a piece of ground the smaller it becomes.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:35 am

The popular answer here based on the mature buck/beast style hunting is going to be much higher than if you ask a non-beast member, maybe one who is in QDM, or in a high hunter density area.

I hunt in the same general area as Potter, and we follow a similar agenda, but we probably hunt one parcel much more because of the specifics of it, bordering a public park with super high DPSM. While there are good bucks on it to be had, there are alot of does and we often take guests there to fill a tag because its easy in and out. In two seasons worth...there's been 1 spike, 6 bucks 2.5 or oolder, and more than 20 does shot. 40 acres, without about 25 of it with timber/huntable trees.

The rest are all hunted about 5-10 days in our season that runs from Oct 1 through to mid Dec. Some parcels get few hunts depending on what is there to be had or known. Some parcels are just good rut spots in all honesty and really only get 1 or 2 hunts outside of that window.

The other thing here too, is that most of our properties in the surrounding area probably have a density of 30-40 hunters per sq/mile...so 40/640 acres...16 acres per hunter...30 is 21 acres. And, that's being generous because a square mile here rarely if ever has a square mile of huntable ground (homes, buildings, fields, etc.)
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:34 pm

It sounds like we would need at least a couple hundred then. My brother is a high impact hunter for sure.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:08 pm

I agree it really depends on how it is laid out, what surrounds it, and what type of land it is. Marsh, fields, woods etc... you could get away with 15-30 acres if it is surrounded by the right land and you only hunt it for conditions that work in both of your favor.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”