Open CRP enhancement - what is best?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Open CRP enhancement - what is best?

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:15 pm

We've got permission for a very nice piece of CRP in a great whitetail area. I believe it is right around 80 acres. It is 80% big blue stem (enrolled in CRP) and the other grasses are varied on not enrolled in CRP. The problem is, there is almost no structure out there at all. There are two small thickets of dogwood ranging from 20-50 yards around, and they are FULL of beds and rubs. My Dad and I have permission to plant some trees, but the problem is the deer destroy almost anything you plant. The landowner planted cedars a while back and suffered 100% loss due to browsing. My question is, which species of tree/shrub will get the best results? I do plan on hand planting some hybrid poplar since they're fairly cheap, fast growing, and easy to plant. I also had a friend tell me willows will grow if you cut branches and stick them in the ground. I plan on planting a mixture and eventually hinge cutting the poplars to provide brows, bedding, and hopefully some relief for other more important tree species. There is a phenomenal property 1/2 mile away that holds around 150 deer every winter, and I want to draw some of those deer to this land. They do stay very late in the year, but when the weather gets really bad they vacate for the neighbors property. If any of you have advice I'm all ears!

BCam

Re: Open CRP enhancement - what is best?

Unread postby BCam » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Water?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:43 pm

There is a river that borders one side of the property. I'm mainly concerned with getting some thick cover for bedding.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:25 pm

I'd plant red or white pines for bedding cover and deer typically don't browse them. The biggest draw might be a food plot to hold some deer close and through winter. You typically can plant a small % of the land enrolled in CRP into food plots.. the best way to do it is long narrow strips... if you have an aerial I can mark it up for ya

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:49 pm

I like the idea of the hybrid poplars. They will do you some good in about 5 years. I am not so sure about the white pine though deer love white pine. If your cedar trees are being eaten, then the white pine will not last. I think red cedar would be much better than white cedar. I do like the food plot idea. I would also consult the state forester in your area he may have some ideas.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Stanley wrote:I like the idea of the hybrid poplars. They will do you some good in about 5 years. I am not so sure about the white pine though deer love white pine. If your cedar trees are being eaten, then the white pine will not last. I think red cedar would be much better than white cedar. I do like the food plot idea. I would also consult the state forester in your area he may have some ideas.

Red cedar and spruce are also good options though much slower growing than pines. Pines are fast growing and great bedding and thermal cover

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:01 am

I'd go red pine or spruce. You'll want to fence hybrid poplar, white pine, and red cedar as these will be browsed heavily.

I'd personally set up very similar to how you set up windbreaks/hedgerows for pheasant where you have your shrub species on the predominant windward side and your solar gain conifers on the leeward side. There is a ton of information on the web for establishing wind breaks...or talk to your local chapter of pheasants forever.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:13 am

I know they would kill a lot of the hybrid poplar, but the beauty of these trees is they're cheap enough that I can plant a bunch every year. I think in time the massive amounts of growth would over take the amount of browsing damage the deer do. When I planted these in the past, all that is involved was taking a hammer and pounding a pencil/cigar sized 8" stick into the ground and off they go. Can any of you verify that willows or red dosier dogwood will grow in the same way? If thats the case I will be doing a lot of this...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:16 am

Lockdown wrote:I know they would kill a lot of the hybrid poplar, but the beauty of these trees is they're cheap enough that I can plant a bunch every year. I think in time the massive amounts of growth would over take the amount of browsing damage the deer do. When I planted these in the past, all that is involved was taking a hammer and pounding a pencil/cigar sized 8" stick into the ground and off they go. [glow=red]Can any of you verify that willows or red dosier dogwood will grow in the same way? If thats the case I will be doing a lot of this...[/glow]

Yes. They can all be grown from cuttings like the hybrid popular. You can also grow hybrid willows the same way
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks Bass... I appreciate your input! There have got to be more beasts with experience in this area. Let 'er fly whether you feel its obvious knowledge or not.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Giant miscanthus is another option.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 pm

I would contact someone from your local soil conservation service to see if they have someone that can come out there to look it over and tell you what will grow best in your particular soil. They usually have someone that dose this for free. If they don't then contact the Minnesota Natural Resources Conservation Service and they should be able to help you.

I would definitely be planting more of the dogwood if you have the ground for it (6'-8' spacing). You can make lots of them from cutting's cheap if money is tight and they are a lot better than the poplar trees your talking about. It's hard to tell the difference between Red Osier and Silky dogwood and if you can get the free consultant out there he or she should be able to tell you which will grow best. I would want some other plants here and there for a little bit of diversity, but mostly dogwoods for fast growing food and cover. I would also plant some mast producing trees or shrubs if you can. Just don't create too much shade for the sun loving plants like the dogwoods. I would probably use something like Norway Spruce for wind breaks/thermal cover if your soil isn't too heavy. Aside from that I would add food plots out in the CRP.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:42 pm

If you looking for trees to "hunt" out of, the hybrid populars grow amazingly fast... As far as deer cover, I agree with Deerslayer, dogwood is excellent for bedding cover, especially if done in small key spots that you can hunt, rather than random plantings... Also, some good food plots are probably the most important of all if your trying to keep deer on this pc.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:11 am

To be honest, if the pieces sets up nice relative to other farms with food, I'd avoid food plots all together. Food plots can really complicate clean access.

If you own the bedding, you own the area. This may be the case for you. :mrgreen:

It sounds like an exciting piece to work on. I'll be interested to hear the progress.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:46 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I would contact someone from your local soil conservation service to see if they have someone that can come out there to look it over and tell you what will grow best in your particular soil. They usually have someone that dose this for free. If they don't then contact the Minnesota Natural Resources Conservation Service and they should be able to help you.

I would definitely be planting more of the dogwood if you have the ground for it (6'-8' spacing). You can make lots of them from cutting's cheap if money is tight and they are a lot better than the poplar trees your talking about. It's hard to tell the difference between Red Osier and Silky dogwood and if you can get the free consultant out there he or she should be able to tell you which will grow best. I would want some other plants here and there for a little bit of diversity, but mostly dogwoods for fast growing food and cover. I would also plant some mast producing trees or shrubs if you can. Just don't create too much shade for the sun loving plants like the dogwoods. I would probably use something like Norway Spruce for wind breaks/thermal cover if your soil isn't too heavy. Aside from that I would add food plots out in the CRP.

I do plan on putting in some dogwood cuttings along with the poplars. In the future I plan to be extremely diverse, but my main concern is getting whatever I plant to survive. Trees/shrubs that are highly resistant to browse are ideally what I'm looking for... Deerslayer I'm thinking dogwoods hold up to browsing as good as any... agreed??

dan wrote:If you looking for trees to "hunt" out of, the hybrid populars grow amazingly fast... As far as deer cover, I agree with Deerslayer, dogwood is excellent for bedding cover, especially if done in small key spots that you can hunt, rather than random plantings... Also, some good food plots are probably the most important of all if your trying to keep deer on this pc.

Dan my main concern is bedding cover. Not only for blocking snow and wind, but also restricting their view. For the most part this piece is rectangular and bowl shaped. I do know their favored bedding, but they bed VERY randomly. We have issues with deer watching us approach due to how open the area is. It is 80 acres. I've had bedded deer bust out 600 yards away when I'm "sneaking" to my stand :lol: any movement is too much.

BassBoysLLP wrote:To be honest, if the pieces sets up nice relative to other farms with food, I'd avoid food plots all together. Food plots can really complicate clean access.

If you own the bedding, you own the area. This may be the case for you. :mrgreen:

It sounds like an exciting piece to work on. I'll be interested to hear the progress.

I know a food plot would be dynamite, and we'll definitely have a plot or two there some day. The problem is that its so open you'd never be able to get in and out near the plot. If the land was flat we could crouch and the grass would hide us. Planting a plot screen would work but I don't want to turn the landowner off tilling up all of his CRP (which there are tillage restrictions on) :think:

I've hunted all over western and central MN, and due to the surrounding habitat, believe me... this spot is a gem. I hunted this area 3 times this year with my family and saw 10+ deer each hunt, including two different bucks that were 130ish. It's so open and I'm so engrossed in killing a public land buck with my bow that I save this spot for for my dad and sister (check the killzone). I think we'll be able to hunt it for a long time to come I just want to do things right and not waste time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”