Open CRP enhancement - what is best?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Open CRP enhancement - what is best?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:46 am

Lockdown wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:I would contact someone from your local soil conservation service to see if they have someone that can come out there to look it over and tell you what will grow best in your particular soil. They usually have someone that dose this for free. If they don't then contact the Minnesota Natural Resources Conservation Service and they should be able to help you.

I would definitely be planting more of the dogwood if you have the ground for it (6'-8' spacing). You can make lots of them from cutting's cheap if money is tight and they are a lot better than the poplar trees your talking about. It's hard to tell the difference between Red Osier and Silky dogwood and if you can get the free consultant out there he or she should be able to tell you which will grow best. I would want some other plants here and there for a little bit of diversity, but mostly dogwoods for fast growing food and cover. I would also plant some mast producing trees or shrubs if you can. Just don't create too much shade for the sun loving plants like the dogwoods. I would probably use something like Norway Spruce for wind breaks/thermal cover if your soil isn't too heavy. Aside from that I would add food plots out in the CRP.

I do plan on putting in some dogwood cuttings along with the poplars. In the future I plan to be extremely diverse, but my main concern is getting whatever I plant to survive. Trees/shrubs that are highly resistant to browse are ideally what I'm looking for... Deerslayer I'm thinking dogwoods hold up to browsing as good as any... agreed??

dan wrote:If you looking for trees to "hunt" out of, the hybrid populars grow amazingly fast... As far as deer cover, I agree with Deerslayer, dogwood is excellent for bedding cover, especially if done in small key spots that you can hunt, rather than random plantings... Also, some good food plots are probably the most important of all if your trying to keep deer on this pc.

Dan my main concern is bedding cover. Not only for blocking snow and wind, but also restricting their view. For the most part this piece is rectangular and bowl shaped. I do know their favored bedding, but they bed VERY randomly. We have issues with deer watching us approach due to how open the area is. It is 80 acres. I've had bedded deer bust out 600 yards away when I'm "sneaking" to my stand :lol: any movement is too much.

BassBoysLLP wrote:To be honest, if the pieces sets up nice relative to other farms with food, I'd avoid food plots all together. Food plots can really complicate clean access.

If you own the bedding, you own the area. This may be the case for you. :mrgreen:

It sounds like an exciting piece to work on. I'll be interested to hear the progress.

I know a food plot would be dynamite, and we'll definitely have a plot or two there some day. The problem is that its so open you'd never be able to get in and out near the plot. If the land was flat we could crouch and the grass would hide us. [glow=red]Planting a plot screen would work but I don't want to turn the landowner off tilling up all of his CRP (which there are tillage restrictions on) :think:[/glow]

I've hunted all over western and central MN, and due to the surrounding habitat, believe me... this spot is a gem. I hunted this area 3 times this year with my family and saw 10+ deer each hunt, including two different bucks that were 130ish. It's so open and I'm so engrossed in killing a public land buck with my bow that I save this spot for for my dad and sister (check the killzone). I think we'll be able to hunt it for a long time to come I just want to do things right and not waste time.

You can establish giant miscantus without tillage in CRP with above average results.

Best first step is to get out an aerial photo and decide how you want to lay the property out now and in the future when food plots are in option.

Mike

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:53 am

Its more work but transplanting larger shrubs and medium sized trees would be a faster option. Digging 4-6 foot tall box elder up and transplanting is doable. I have heard red cedar transplant great as well if they are around. Caging a few trees (spruce) would be an option also.

Getting whatever you plant above the deer is probably critical, with cuttings you can do larger ones that most people think of. You can put a 8 foot tall willow or poplar in the ground and it will root (barring spring drought) and will be above the browse line. It will likely get rubbed without protection but will sucker usually so it should still provide cover in the long run.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Mike wrote:Its more work but transplanting larger shrubs and medium sized trees would be a faster option. Digging 4-6 foot tall box elder up and transplanting is doable. I have heard red cedar transplant great as well if they are around. Caging a few trees (spruce) would be an option also.

Getting whatever you plant above the deer is probably critical, with cuttings you can do larger ones that most people think of. You can put a 8 foot tall willow or poplar in the ground and it will root (barring spring drought) and will be above the browse line. It will likely get rubbed without protection but will sucker usually so it should still provide cover in the long run.

That is music to my ears :D Pretty sure I'm going to employ my Dad and nephews (they're 6 and 8 and obsessed with deer hunting) this spring and plant a boat load of cuttings both willow and poplar
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:41 am

Lockdown wrote:I do plan on putting in some dogwood cuttings along with the poplars. In the future I plan to be extremely diverse, but my main concern is getting whatever I plant to survive. Trees/shrubs that are highly resistant to browse are ideally what I'm looking for... Deerslayer I'm thinking dogwoods hold up to browsing as good as any... agreed??

Agreed.

BTW, Sorry for the late reply.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Here is a pic of willow just stuck in the ground, they were maybe 4 to 6 foot but you get the idea. This is a pic of the willows we take the cuttings from:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks for all of your help guys! I never would have thought a 6 foot cutting would grow. That is tremendously helpful. I've been thinking about apple trees and have done a lot of research on starting them on my own. Does anyone have advice as to varieties? I think deer will eat just about any apple, but I know some varieties don't produce as much as others. My Dad has honeycrisp in his back yard and they only produce every other year...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:32 pm

btw I do realize apple trees would require protection

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”