Pretty cool find, thanks to the Beast

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Pretty cool find, thanks to the Beast

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:57 am

I made a pretty cool observation the other day. Something I never would have noticed pre-Hunting Beast. I went back to 2012 and 2013 trail cam pics, and noted the days where I had deer on camera. I had a camera setup where the red dot is, pointed uphill facing southwest. There is a pretty steep slope in that narrow wooded area which opens up to all cattails to the east. Turns out EVERY SINGLE DAY I had deer on camera, walking along that yellow line, there was a SW wind. I thought it was a cool observation, something I never would have considered in the past (baby steps as another thread recently mentioned). Now I know, if I ever make the drive to hunt this small area, it needs to be a SW wind. :D

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Pretty cool find, thanks to the Beast

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:59 am

:clap:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:16 am

Good find. Sometimes it takes time to figure stuff out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:52 am

Looks like a SW wind in the forecast for Wednesday; might as well give it one last try! Haven't been to this spot in 2014.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:09 am

That's cool! How did you get the wind for past days? Or did you just keep up with the area on the weather forecast every day?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 am

Great visual examples! Thanks for sharing!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Weather underground has a history page, where you can search by date & zip code and it gives you all the weather data for that day.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Very cool when all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place like that. Great example Justin84!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:57 pm

justin84 wrote:I made a pretty cool observation the other day. Something I never would have noticed pre-Hunting Beast. I went back to 2012 and 2013 trail cam pics, and noted the days where I had deer on camera. I had a camera setup where the red dot is, pointed uphill facing southwest. There is a pretty steep slope in that narrow wooded area which opens up to all cattails to the east. Turns out EVERY SINGLE DAY I had deer on camera, walking along that yellow line, there was a SW wind. I thought it was a cool observation, something I never would have considered in the past (baby steps as another thread recently mentioned). Now I know, if I ever make the drive to hunt this small area, it needs to be a SW wind. :D

Believe it or not, what you discovered here, is what lead me to find the BEAST!

I used weatherunderground.com and marked all the info for pictures I had for all shooter bucks I caught on cameras for a 4 year period. First let me say, that took a long while! I started seeing patterns, and the wind was the one that really blew me away.

I grew up hunting with the wind in my face....well you can imagine after 25+ years hunting with the wind in my face.... I started doing google searches and thats how I came up with the BEAST. I ordered the videos, watched them and man what a deer hunting revelation! I couldnt belive all the years I had wasted hunting "THINKING" I was hunting the wind correctly

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”