Evaluating this parcel like a Beast

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddywater

Evaluating this parcel like a Beast

Unread postby muddywater » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post, but I have really enjoyed reading many other posts and trying to learn the Beast method of hunting. Thank you to everyone who is willing to share your knowledge on this site, guys like me really appreciate it.

Below is a parcel I'll be heading out to scout in the coming weeks. The prevailing wind comes from the west (yellow arrow), and there is an access point to the north across a scrub grass field. The land is fairly flat according to a topo map, but there are several chunks of land that rise out of the swamp high enough to provide some dry ground for bedding and security from hunters (the property receives a fair amount of pressure). There are a number of row crop fields to the west (now harvested) and scattered swamp/pin oak on the property, but no food source that I would consider a "magnet" to key on. The two spots that seem prime to me are the islands near the south of the photo (circled in yellow). I have marked a few areas that I think could be buck bedding sites (red dots), and I would love some feedback if I am on the right track. Also, any thoughts on how to get into the area undetected and how to hunt these bedding areas? The swamp is shallow enough to traverse with waders so my initial thought is to wade in from the north, but I'm not sure exactly how to set up.

First stab at evaluating the area. The property line ends at the hard field/wood edge on the left side of the photo.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Evaluating this parcel like a Beast

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:31 pm

First off welcome to the Beast.
Sounds like you're on track with your thinking. You will be able to get better advice if you can post a topo, even it its mostly flat. As far as sneaking in, is from the north your only access point?
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
muddywater

Unread postby muddywater » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Unfortunately I only have access from the north right now. I'll be speaking with the landowner to the west to see if they will let me cross their property to access the land. The property stretches to the east and south with no other reasonable way to get in.

Here's the topo for the area. The aerial roughly corresponds to the yellow box.

muddywater

Unread postby muddywater » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Hybrid map view

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:25 am

Take a look at the aerial I posted... I would expect the majority of bucks to be bedding in the areas I marked with red dots... I put blue lines where I would look for sign coming from the bedding to set up on.

muddywater

Unread postby muddywater » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks for the help Dan!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”