How would you hunt this?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Primetime41

How would you hunt this?

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:56 am

I recently got permission on a small property neighboring another property I have permission on. I've always gotten trail cam pics of great bucks but almost always after dark. I had a hunch they were spending their days on the neighboring property. I walked the southern half of the property a few weeks ago while looking for a doe my brother shot, and the sign was good. Runways with big tracks everywhere. Most of them seem to come from the hill and angle southeast down to the corner of the field, which was beans this year. I've hunted it twice with little luck (Red dot on a SW wind and blue dot on a NNW wind). I've seen a few does and a few small bucks, and did have a 150 inch run through with his nose to the ground (Light green line). My brother sat in the corner of the cut bean field twice (Green stand on a NNW wind) and had a big buck appear both nights. Once walking across the bean field from east to west and the other time coming out near stand 2 and feeding on the north end of the field with a doe (Yellow lines). Looking for opinions on how others would hunt this property right now, and during other parts of the season.

Primetime41

Re: How would you hunt this?

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 am

Going to give this a bump in hope of some suggestions.

Knowing I wouldn't get a chance to hunt for a while I set up a camera on the property and bumped a buck out of a bed about 25 or 30 yards NW of the blue stand in that small strip of brush trees between the clearings. That wasn't a spot I expected bucks to bed but I went in and found a bed with hair in it and poop all around it. Not sure if it's just a temporary bed that he was using that day or if it's being used consistantly. Hopefully I get some pics that give me a better idea.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Just wanted to let you know I am not ignoring this, just trying to find the time to look at it... Hopefully tonight.
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:31 am

In for learning!!What is the mapping that your using in the first pic?I like how the ariel is overlayed by the topo lines.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 am

dan wrote:Just wanted to let you know I am not ignoring this, just trying to find the time to look at it... Hopefully tonight.

It's all good Dan. Take your time.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:13 am

MACHINIST wrote:In for learning!!What is the mapping that your using in the first pic?I like how the ariel is overlayed by the topo lines.

It's the county's GIS mapping system. You can choose how light or dark you want the topo lines and I think how many feet of elevation separating each line as well. I wish the other counties I hunt used the same system.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:10 pm

If I was going to hunt this property I'd be drawn to these three spots for buck bedding. The two spots on the hillside if it's thick enough, I know the hill isn't much of a hill but I think they're worth checking out. Then that point in the lowland looks pretty good. I think the set-up where you saw the 150 class buck come through is a pretty solid spot. Once you know where they're bedding set-ups will follow. I'm still leaning but feel I'm on the right track, Dan hopefully will correct if I'm completely off base. Nice Property, Good Luck!

JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 pm

I hunt a woodlot with similar terrain so I'll be curious to see how Dan marks it up. The GIS site does make great maps.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:23 pm

i'm still learning too but those look like good picks for bedding...i'd think that blue spot though you'd want in south of where you saw that buck to keep your scent away from the deer. Also, the corner between the dark green stand and the light green trail seems like it would catch movement going both ways
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:25 pm

checkerfred wrote:i'm still learning too but those look like good picks for bedding...i'd think that blue spot though you'd want in south of where you saw that buck to keep your scent away from the deer. Also, the corner between the dark green stand and the light green trail seems like it would catch movement going both ways

Agreed.

But there is a major runway coming off the hill through the clearing to the north of the blue stand. I was thinking the bucks would bed on the hill on a NW wind and I could catch them coming thru the clearing on their way to the bean field.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 am

One thing you'll have to watch for hunting low is thermals rising. I'm interested to see what some of the other guys say. It helps me to see someone else's maps and try to read them like I would hunt there

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 am

I would expect good bucks to bed on the ridge between the 930 and 920 elevation lines... I would also check the transitions in the lower S.W. corner... and the S.E. corner of the field in the tree line... After season I would walk the entire property and figure it out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”