Northwoods Public Land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Northwoods Public Land

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 am

So, this is my first post on the site. I've done alot of reading so far and I'm amazed at how much great info is on here. Any input on this piece of land would be appreciated!

The picture below is one area I like to bowhunt in the northwoods of WI. Pressure is virtually non-existent until gun season. What I marked with the red line is an old logging road that loops around near some power lines. I've walked this road grouse hunting and always noticed rubs and scrapes (marked in yellow) so I decided to sit in a few spots and try it out (marked in blue). Most of the trail goes through mature hardwoods, oak and aspen. On the right side it cuts through an area with smaller, thicker pines.

On the far right side of the image, there is a swamp edge that always has a lot of rubs, where I've set up before as well. Just north of that swamp is a large area of mature white pines, with thick brush. It's pretty easy to access by walking south on that old road you can see, then heading east along the edge of the hardwoods/pines.

There is a lake about 200 yards east of the swamp. The area is relatively flat, but I can also post a topo if it would be helpful.

I almost never see deer when I hunt that logging road, but the buck sign is abundant. I've seen quite a few deer on evening sits near that swamp. What do you guys think? Any obvious bedding areas to check out? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by justin84 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

backstraps

Re: Northwoods Public Land

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:22 am

Welcome the the BEAST!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 am

I believe the mature bucks bed consistently elsewhere of the area you posted.

Pm me if you wish. I have hunted this area and still occasionally do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:14 am

Focus on the swamp, very common bedding in bigwoods settings. Not much else sticking out at me without a topo. One more fyi, they like the swamp because there will be some thermal activity pulling your scent to the wet stuff, if its perfectly calm they might smell you so only hunt close if you get a steady wind at prime time.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:22 am

Welcome to the beast
These guys will help you out

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:28 am

Can't help you there but I find it ironic aour user names are similar and I almost posted a similar thread this weekend :D welcome!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:55 am

Justin85, that is pretty ironic. Good thing I wasn't born in 85!

Here are topos of that same area, with and without aerial photos, for what it's worth. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”