deciphering beds

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Justin85

deciphering beds

Unread postby Justin85 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Ok so with the front moving through right in prime time to have been set up, I decided to try to do some scouting. Did some walking and saw what I typically find....last months sign. Ill figure this public land thing out sooner or later.

Anyway, I went by a spot that looks as if it may get over looked. Im sure with the photos I post, someone near me may figure this place out, and if so, so be it.

Drove by and didnt think much of it, then thought well maybe this spot gets over looked. I originally looked at the place to the west of the yellow circle, thinking I may find a bed on the end, nah. Then looked east and saw a couple lone aspens growing out in the marsh. Came back to the road, drove down and stopped and sloshed across to it. Sure enough, there was a bed under the tree, with a little hair, and an older turd about the size of a coke can (maybe not THAT big, but big). No rubs on any of the aspens or any brush near by. Got in the bed and checked out the view back to the road. Surprisingly well. Be hard to set up on this guy if he's there. Appears he/they travel that distinct break in vegetation running east to west out in the marsh. Theres water in between the bed and the main land to the north, but for some reason just a high ridge sort of out in the marsh.

Im thinking a spot to check later in the year after pressure builds up more, on some form of Northerly winds. I'm not so much worried about hunting this bed and just trying to figure out why and when it's used, to transfer that information to other uses and locations, although I'll likely give it a go one afternoon later on.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: deciphering beds

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Why can't more people/sites be this helpful? Why a deer beds and travels and where can really help you get a good chance at killing one. I like you mentioning it might not even get hunted but used for learning things to apply later.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 am

That bed should be an easy one to figure out why he is bedding there.... He aint going south.. I doubt he is going West or East, based on landscape he is heading North... There is a crop field across the street. He is probably heading to that or oak trees in between. I would be watching the road for sign along the trails crossing. When its fresh, give the spot a hunt... I would expect based on the sign you found being a month old you may have had beans in the field which have now started to yellow and he has moved on to something else.

With a little spot like that surrounded by cattails and water I would find all the beds along the edge of it and watch that road close for fresh sign on the crossings... Looks like an easy spot to monitor and pick the cherry.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:43 am

Yeah the field across the road is dirt right now. May have been there when the oaks were dropping hard. I'll check it later in the year.

Thanks for the insight

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:59 am

This site is SO helpful and you guys that monitor and provide insight are amazing! I feel like I'm learning so much I need to start righting this stuff down to help me remember.

Question on your comment dan. Why isn't he going south? What do you see in the pic of the landscape that tells you he's not going East or West?

I don't know how you keep up so well on all these questions and comments but I'm immensely thankful you do. Thanks again!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:07 am

I have looked at all these examples thinking one would eventually make everything click for me. I believe this one maybe it because it makes so much sense to me now how this deer is using this bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”