New Property need tips for management

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

opjones

New Property need tips for management

Unread postby opjones » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:29 am

Hello all, new to the site and really like and appreciate all the info shared.

I've recently acquired new property to hunt on in northern lower MI. 120 acres private outlined in red and 80 acres of low pressure state land next to it outlined in blue. The state land has a decent size river running thru it and a lot of clear cut. The private has a creek that connects to the river running thru the back. The large farm field to the west is corn this year. The field to the east and south of the corn is high grass. The section of woods to the south, it looks like a lot of trails running thru, is birch and pine trees and a lower sometimes wet swampy area. There is one hunting blind setup that I show as a red X. It has a couple long corridors to shot down. to the south of that the woods start to thicken up, a lot of new growth as this has been partially logged out with a few old trees still standing. There is another blind set up on a small clearing that i show in a red X. Further south the property really starts to thicken up withe more pines and hardwood. One you get to the Creek area the topo dips down to smapy area on both sides of the creek. Then on the far side of the creek it quickly rises back up and then the hay field to the far south.

Right now there are no food plots and the 2 hunting blinds. we are working on making a trail all the way around the property for access, some of it is there now. I think we would like to minimalism the trails cutting thru the heart of the woods. We have spotted deer in the evenings in the corn fields, and to the very north of the property by the house are apples tress they bed under and eat from. We have found a few good deer trails and tracks thru. Right now we are just trying to get a grasp on the land and where we should go.

Thanks for looking and tips appreciated.

Close up of south wooded area

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: New Property need tips for management

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:31 am

Kinda late to plant anything other then oats or rye. I would avoid doing any chain saw manipulation other then the perimeter trail your doing. The trail/clearing should be 15ft wide to send a clear message to surrounding properties where your boundary a are. As for other manipulation, I think more properties are screwed up by new owners then people realize. Take a year to learn how the deer use the land now and use that to your advantage next year when you form a game plan on what you would like to accomplish.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
opjones

Unread postby opjones » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:22 am

Yes I agree, we are not doing anything major this year besides clear the outer trail and scout the deer. There are the 2 established blinds that we will use and possibly throw up a tree stand if we see a lot of activity in an area. I'm thinking of the tree line between the private and public between the two fields.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:39 am

I would wait till spring to cut that trail and post it. My main hunting would be down near the creek where the hardwoods meets the edge of the swampy area... I would not over hunt that though, so you don't ruin it. The rest of the time I would hop around and hunt different areas of the property randomly from the outside in to get a feel for other good areas.
opjones

Unread postby opjones » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. Maybe make the trail cutting across the property up a ways from the creek. That way the creek section is not disturbed that much by atv traffic and the back of the property is already outlined by the hay field to the south.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:33 pm

opjones wrote:Thanks, sounds like a good idea. Maybe make the trail cutting across the property up a ways from the creek. That way the creek section is not disturbed that much by atv traffic and the back of the property is already outlined by the hay field to the south.

I would agree with that... If it were me there would be no atv traffic at all unless it was to pick up a deer or do food plots or maintenance. Do you have south access? Food plots along that south edge would be nice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”