new to topo scouting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

james498

new to topo scouting

Unread postby james498 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 pm

looking for a little help...im used to hunting a small piece of property in upstate ny this year im taking a trip to pa for a four day hunt. no time to scout and i have never used topos for scouting before. any pointers would be much appreciated thanks a lot

VT Outfitter

Re: new to topo scouting

Unread postby VT Outfitter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:45 pm

I use topos for new areas, usually coupled with in the field scouting. It is difficult to say exactly where the key stand site locations are with out knowing what kid of woods it is made of, where the thick stuff is, natural food sources, water ways, where your access to the property is. I find the deer will follow the path of least resistance for travel. They will follow edges of steep terrain, edges of thick stuff, edges of meadows, edges of ponds, and any terrain features that would steer them in a direction. Can you offer anymore info on your property?
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
www.whitetailstrategies.net
VT Outfitter

Unread postby VT Outfitter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:14 pm

I cant figure out how to attach the new file of your map with the marked spots where I would say to look.
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
www.whitetailstrategies.net
james498

Unread postby james498 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:47 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
james498

Unread postby james498 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:01 pm

It's almost all heavy forest area...it's a small section of a state park. It's relatively all flat. I narrowed it down to this section Looks like the only real changes in elevation in the surrounding area. Can access it from all sides there's road and pipe line cut outs on all sides where I get in from any angle. Stream runs down the center of that gully My brother hunts there every year. Not sure in this exact location and always sees real nice bucks but never really puts the leg work in. He's more of the park the car and go in a hundred yards kind of guy. So I know there good deer there Thanks for the feed back. Looking to make this trip worth it Scouting is half the fun. Learning a lot from the site already

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”