Projects on a small property

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Projects on a small property

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:28 am

Hi guys,

What sort of habitat projects could be done on this property? I was thinking making it as thick as possible to increase bedding area would help (hinge cutting, planting cover, etc?). This would possibly get bowhunted a couple times a season, but the projects would mostly be for fun. Also, just as a note I realize that the driving around the pond would have to come to a stop in order to hold deer...

Here are a couple pictures. To give you an idea of total size, the marked area in the first picture is about 7 acres, the entire area (second picture) is about 14 acres.

I hunt on the farm that surrounds this property a few times a year which consists of mostly row crops, pasture/ CRP, and a couple small (10 acre) wood lots. I believe the biggest problem with this farm is there is no thick cover around to hold deer. We only get pictures of them (decent bucks) during in the late evening and night.

Redman232

Re: Projects on a small property

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:48 am

I would consider turning over some soil around the pond during the dry season and planting a tall water resistant warm season grass. You will have a "marsh" type habitat in a year or two.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:15 am

Make as big of a mess as possible, hinge cut trees, fill in with conifers. Whats the surrounding ag like? Maybe a few pear trees or other soft mast.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 am

This is farm country. The surrounding land is mostly corn and beans, but there are some larger (20-30acres) wood lots scattered about within a couple miles. What do you mean "Make as big of a mess as possible"? Just make it as thick and nasty as possible?

I like the conifer idea, maybe plant some trees around the perimeter as well.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Is there a really brushy type of plant or cover crop that would work there?
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:46 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Is there a really brushy type of plant or cover crop that would work there?

There are so many options available for "deerscaping". Check your growth zone and then get a Gurney's catalog and buy what you need when it is on sale. There are so many fast growing hybrids now, you can get the results you desire in a just a couple years. I also like the idea of making a mess of the place. You can get a lot of taller broadleaf weeds to grow just by turning over the first couple inches of soil. Typically the weed seed is still there, the grasses eventually crowd them out. You want to avoid a monoculture, which is what appears to be going on around the pond. Make it as thick as possible and give them an all season buffet.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 am

Yellow food plots
Blue egyption grass or some other high grass type cover
Purple thick pines planted close together
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:09 pm

I agree with Dan on this property. I wouldn't go hinging everything, you want some strategy. If you know where they are bedding(you selectively make bedding areas) you can avoid bump'n most of the deer on the property. If it's all thick, they will bed randomly and with a small parcel like this, one group of deer gets bumped and the place empties out. The outer perimeter of pines will give an illusion of security to the deer, and a definite edge they can relate to. Also gives you a screening for access. I would do 3 rows staggered. Contact your local dnr and qdm branch and even pheasants forever and see if there are any habitat program funding in your area. You might get financial help or even paid to improve this land.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:54 am

You guys have some great ideas, thanks for the input!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 am

Egyptian Wheat is great cover.... but it needs to be re-planted every year. I would work on growing switch grass or some type of cover in that area Dan outlined in the middle... it looks like an isolated piece of property... surrounded by agriculture... those are tough to "manage" unless they are considerable size.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 am

I like dan's plan. I would also add some type of tall planting around the outer edges of the food plots (between food plots and field) to give a sense of security to the deer.

Never mind - looks like that is where Dan was suggesting pines.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”