Finally have our own place to hunt!!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DoubleDrop

Finally have our own place to hunt!!

Unread postby DoubleDrop » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:14 pm

We are FINALLY done with leasing and have closed on a hunting property that will hopefully bring our family years of hunting and great memories! We are so excited but now the work has to begin! I am looking for any advise on where to start because we haven't been able to get on the property that much. Any thoughts on bedding areas, possible stand locations, entry methods, etc... would be greatly appreciated! Also, we are looking to put in some food plots and/or water holes as needed so any information or thoughts on where to look at those areas would also be great! Thanks so much for all your guys help and info!!

cbay
500 Club

Re: Finally have our own place to hunt!!

Unread postby cbay » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 am

Congrats on the land purchase!!
Looks like a nice piece of ground for deer.
One thing i've heard mentioned a lot and really agree with is to wait a while before making any major changes such as food plot locations and other habitat projects. The reasoning behind this is to see how the deer use the property so you can make EFFECTIVE changes to your place that help in harvesting deer, lower impact, etc.
When we got our place we jumped right in and made plots with no regard to wind and entrance / exits and took out some valuable natural cover to make the plots. Looking back things would have changed some; and now find ourselves bringing back some of the better aspects the property had to begin with.
There are a couple guys on the QDMA forum that specialize in these projects and have some recent threads going where they offer some valuable advice for free. Its a start anyhow. Here is a good link to get ideas from http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64134
IMO holding off to learn the land first is very hard to do - as it is just so exciting!!
Again congrats on your new property.
Chris
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 am

I like the yellow areas for food plots (I don't like food plots close to any roads). The 2 blues are stand sites for rut hunts with a North wind and a south wind. I like the green areas as potential bedding areas. I like orange area as a sanctuary. This is just food for thought but gives you some starting ideas. Looks like the land is subtly hilly, but mostly what I consider flat land. Everything will look smaller the better you get to learn the land.

Looks like a great piece of property. The neighboring properties add value to that statement.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DoubleDrop

Unread postby DoubleDrop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:22 am

thanks so much for the info guys! I appreciate the quick comments and look forward to learning more from anyone else!
DoubleDrop

Unread postby DoubleDrop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:24 am

Stanley, can you point out the "orange" sanctuary area? I dont think it is showing up on my end for some reason. I only see yellow and green areas
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:34 am

DoubleDrop wrote:Stanley, can you point out the "orange" sanctuary area? I dont think it is showing up on my end for some reason. I only see yellow and green areas

I was thinking this area with a food plot to the east.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 am

Here is my thoughts.... Red dots are potential primary buck bedding, blue dots are water holes, green is food plots.
DoubleDrop

Unread postby DoubleDrop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:26 pm

thanks a lot Dan!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”