Why don't the DNR cut tree's ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Why don't the DNR cut tree's ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:38 am

Just something I think about from time to time... The last time I traveled through Devils lake state park, I noticed all the HUGE, big, gigantic oaks they have throughout the park... I'm talking straight up veneer oaks that look like they are 150 ft tall... Why on earth don't they take a select cut on some of the land they own, and help pay for some of their bills... I mean, are they or are they not always talking about how broke they are ? I could see if the woods is pretty thin for tree's, but the woods I seen at Devils lake is just loaded with great great tree's that are just going to waste.... I hear they don't want to cut anything because they want to keep it natural... Well, no one said they have to clear cut it, just take a few here and there.... Thoughts ????

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Why don't the DNR cut tree's ?

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 am

Actually they do log a lot of there properties. The logged portions of Rome pond wildlife area last winter and the locals had a fit :roll:
I think on some properties they want the huge oaks and other types of habitat.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:54 am

ahhhh, ok, I thought I heard they don't cut any of their woods, but maybe they do afterall... It just seems like a waste to let big tall mature tree's just fall over and rot away.... But maybe it's not as bad as I thought...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 am

Yeah, they did some logging up here too. But like Dan said, anytime you cut trees, people get in an uproar. Ask any forester, cutting trees is part of sound timber management. I think that is a good idea Dbucks. Those big ones have a tendency to get struck by lighting, and then the only value they have is for firewood. :?
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:58 pm

I often wondered the same thing with the DNR. Especially like with oaks, with oak wilt out there, isn't it something like CWD in whitetails, a disease that kills? To save their lives cut them all down :roll:
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:25 pm

What kind of oaks? If its white oaks, should be great value for wildlife! Even reds are still good. Its good to have different aged forests to help support a wide variety of wildlife so maybe thats why their keeping those older trees. Even when a tree dies or gets struck by lightening its still providing homes and food for different animals. Select cut is probably not a bad idea but they'd have to cut enough to make it worth the time and labor it would take to cut them down. It be a much more intensive process than a clearcut and maybe its not economically feasible to do it that way. Public pressure with the "natural forest" of course could come into play.

Just some ideas, I guess the only way to know would be to ask them.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:10 am

A few years back the Do Nothing Right clear cut a island of big oak trees in the middle of a marsh. They cut every tree down even young oaks and made brush piles all over it. They also left a ton of fire wood laying out there and still havent recovered it. Now thats good management :roll:
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:16 pm

The state Biologist I spoke with here said pretty much what you guys are saying it depends on the management goals. Whether improving wildlife habitat or forest preservation.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Sure they do ! Don,t you remember MARSH BUCKS video, when Dan points out that the DNR even cuts branches for easier walking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”