Apple Tree's at Menards

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Apple Tree's at Menards

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:06 am

Do you guys ever check out the Fruit tree's at Menards?

I stopped last night to look at Apple tree's..... I picked up a Candy Crisp, and a McIntosh for $25 each..... They were both between 7 and 8 feet tall..... I thought that was a heck of a deal. I bought one last year there, and it actually had some apples on it by the fall, I couldn't believe it. I really don't know much about Apple tree's, but they must be at least 4 years old, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, hope they grow, going to plant them tomorrow...... I just thought $25 for a tree this size, seems like a good deal..... Just thought I would share....

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Apple Tree's at Menards

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:42 am

Good info., I like Menards. When my apple trees were just a bit older the deer would come into my yard and hit the apples hard. The bucks rubbed my apple trees and nearly killed them. I had to put fence stakes in the ground to stabilize them as the bucks rubbed them regularly. They survived and now produce more apples than I know what to do with.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:46 am

I know that you have to have another tree in close proximity to pollinate the tree or it won't produce fruit. I have four in my yard and only 2 of the four will produce apples.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:50 am

jessejames wrote:I know that you have to have another tree in close proximity to pollinate the tree or it won't produce fruit. I have four in my yard and only 2 of the four will produce apples.

yep, I have read that you usually need more than one for pollination.... Now, I will have 4 planted, all within about 50 feet of each other....

The two that you have that don't produce apples, how old are they? Do you remember what kind of apple tree they are?
jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:26 am

I'm not sure of the kind they were planted by the previous home owner. He told me he bought all 3 kinds that Fleet Farm had at the time and there was a mature one already in the yard. Only the mature one and one of the young ones produce fruit. I would say they are about 5 yrs old now.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 02, 2014 2:01 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Do you guys ever check out the Fruit tree's at Menards?

I stopped last night to look at Apple tree's..... I picked up a Candy Crisp, and a McIntosh for $25 each..... They were both between 7 and 8 feet tall..... I thought that was a heck of a deal. I bought one last year there, and it actually had some apples on it by the fall, I couldn't believe it. I really don't know much about Apple tree's, but they must be at least 4 years old, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, hope they grow, going to plant them tomorrow...... I just thought $25 for a tree this size, seems like a good deal..... Just thought I would share....

It's hard to say the age. It could be 2-4 years old. It would depend on the variety/root stock combination and the nursery practices.

The main thing I look for in an apple tree outside of getting a good variety is the root stock. The big box stores around here tend to have dwarfing root stocks suited for yards and the trees don't get big enough to provide much fruit because the deer browse the lower branches. I can't remember what our Menards carries (it's been a few years since I looked), but I think I seen one on M7 which is a nice size tree and will produce a lot of apples.

There is nothing wrong with a Menards tree other than they may be root bound and potentially the root stock being too dwarfing for deer, but the root stock isn't necessarily a big deal either. Some people consider it a benefit because you can plant the graft union below the soil surface so the apple variety that was grafted on it will produce roots. This will bypass the dwarfing effect of the root stock and allow the tree to grow much bigger (up to full size). How big depends on the variety and how deep the graft union is buried. Plus you will get apples sooner because of the dwarfing root stock.

The reason some people consider doing this to be a negative is because you not only bypass the dwarfing effect of the root stock, but you also bypass it's disease and pest resistance. However, you would have two root systems, so if the trees roots pick up a disease or pest that only affects one root system the other set of roots can take over and feed the tree. This possibility is only there for so many years though because the more vigorous root system of the grafted variety will eventually over take and choke out the weaker root stock as the tree matures.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri May 02, 2014 10:49 pm

We have planted about a dozen apple trees on our property up north. It is only about 7 acres, but it butts up to the Nicolet. It is our “food plot”. They will be big enough this year to take off the fences. Almost all are producing good fruit.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri May 02, 2014 11:56 pm

I would buy trees from a local place not a big box store. Trees at big box stores are widely distributed and you dont really know where they are from and what you are getting. You can get better trees for the same price in my opinion.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 03, 2014 5:10 pm

wiscbowhntr wrote:We have planted about a dozen apple trees on our property up north. It is only about 7 acres, but it butts up to the Nicolet. It is our “food plot”. They will be big enough this year to take off the fences. Almost all are producing good fruit.

What kind of apples do you have?

ozzz wrote:I would buy trees from a local place not a big box store. Trees at big box stores are widely distributed and you dont really know where they are from and what you are getting. You can get better trees for the same price in my opinion.

I agree with ozzz. You can get better trees for the money. It's better to get the right rootstock in the first place and also not have to deal with circling roots that develop from being in the cheap plastic pots they use. Plus quite often you can get better branched trees. Not to mention getting exactly the variety you need which is very important.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 am

my cousin went out to my land today in search of morels and he said all 10 of my apple trees i planted in the fall are budding and looking really good. i bought 10 different varieties last fall. all semi-dwarf. all from the local nursery. i spaced them 15by 15 feet apart and enclosed them with 8foot fence. it was a big project for 2 days but me and my cousin got it done. now im just waiting for a pic he will be sending sometime today to see the fruits of our labor!
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Wed May 21, 2014 5:31 am

Don’t forget about pear trees. I planted some simple Bradford pear trees 2 years ago and they are doing well. The pear is like candy to the deer. Last season what few pears I had the squirrels packed off.

X2 on a fence or cage around the tree. Concrete reinforcement wire works well!
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Wed May 21, 2014 6:30 am

Theres one apple tree down where I hunt I should give it a try and hunt by it this year

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”