Swampy grass question

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

pederson4

Swampy grass question

Unread postby pederson4 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 am

I hunt in WI and the land has a grassy swamp with tamerack sections in it. I was wondering if there was anything i could put in the swamp area to attract more deer to it. My son is 12 and i have another that is going to be 10 in july and i would like to make things a little easier for them the first couple of times out there to see and possible get a deer. I have thought about throwing out beans in it and see if it would grow but Thats always forgotten once i leave my stand. If there is any plants or things i could do that would be great. The land has hardwoods on one side and a lake on the other. There is a field that switches from corn to beans each year and i catch them in the hard woods before the swamp heading that way but they have several spots to cross and i choose right about a 10th of the time. I think that my youngest would get tired of it and not find any enjoyment if it didnt produce a little better then that.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Swampy grass question

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:53 pm

I started a mineral site a few years back in a spot that had little buck activity. The does hit it hard but no bucks thwn come late october the buck started making scrapes all over right on top of the area. They knew the does liked the spot and when that time was right they were there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Dose it get any standing water? If so, for how long? Dose it get full sun? I'm guessing clover will be what you will need, but I would have to know more.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
pederson4

Unread postby pederson4 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Most of it gets a lot of sun. when you walk it your boots get wet and in places its pretty soft. Right now when you walk it you can almost see a wave. Its almost like a floating bog. It does have water by its side. They walk through it and i see them browsing while out there i just would like more consistent deer activity for the kids.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:33 am

For a normal food plot it needs to be dry at some point during the year.

If it is always wet you may want to talk to Robert Langjahr at http://www.aquaticbiologists.com
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 am

Can you block some trails they use heading toward the food. Not a good answer but it sounded like private and you get a lot of options compared to public.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
pederson4

Unread postby pederson4 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:09 am

Mostly private but borders public i would say there is about 15 acres of dry land that is on the other side of the swamp. I have dropped some trees to try and change where they go but they just move over about 20 feet and walk around. It doesn't bother me not getting a chance every time out, that's part of hunting. I am going to throw out some beans into the swamp closer to the stands just to see if they will work there. I have a about a 50lb bag of seeds that was given to me to try from a feed mill. I will use a weed wacker and clear out most of the grass and i'm sure having more green grass there instead of dead grass will help also. I plan on putting something on the atv trails that were made from people coming from the public land after i get them blocked off again. It's amazing how some people can't read or just don't care.
pederson4

Unread postby pederson4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:02 am

I dont know if this worked or not i am trying to post a photo of the land
pederson4

Unread postby pederson4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:11 am

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.2385209 ... a=!3m1!1e3

here is the link the land is just to the east of the lake starts on hwy 40 heading south along the tree line by the trailer and down to almost 267th ave. The west side of the property is around where round lake goes north and heads south to almost 267th ave. Those are not right on the line but i know where they are and have them marked.

I just cant figure out how to post a pic on here.
pederson4

Unread postby pederson4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:25 am

hopefully this worked
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:36 pm

I checked that property on Bing's birds eye view and it looks like it has a few good spots on it. It looks like you might be able to get away with planting a food plot somewhere along the woods on the hillside. You could put a few small plots in the woods too if you can take down or girdle a some trees. I'm still not sure about the open grassy area's though. If it dries out by September 1st you could plant winter rye. If it dries out by early to mid summer you could plant clover and possibly some other thing's. It looks like it should dry out during the summer, but it's hard to tell that by a photo. It should be easy to make a nice plot in those hard woods though.
pederson4

Unread postby pederson4 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:17 am

The way the winter and spring has been going it will not be dry. There is more standing water then i have seen in the last 10 years. I wont be able to take a atv across this year and will change the trails the deer take and may cut down some of there choices. I'm done walking the land and moving new stands for the year and hopefully the choices i made will work. I have Found they marked the property land with ribbons and hopefully the land next to me will be logged to help with keeping more deer in there. I plan on putting a plot on the atv trails the neighbors have made on our land since they cleared a nice trail along the swamp for it. Hopefully they see the signs this time if not they will find the trees laying across the trails with more signs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”