Best plant for 1/2 acre plot near corn or beans

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Best plant for 1/2 acre plot near corn or beans

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:01 pm

That is a slob of a buck DeerSlayer

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Best plant for 1/2 acre plot near corn or beans

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 pm

62kodiak wrote:I have a very similar situation on a buddies property. What do you think about radishes Deerslayer. I seen that you sell a radish mix. sounds pretty good.

I really like radishes because they have so many benefits. They are easy to grow and unlike other brassica's the deer will usually eat them the first year and fairly early in the season too. Sometimes even when they first come up in summer. Gogebicbuckslayer planted some and the deer wiped them out before season. They are very high in protein. The tops under ideal conditions can be up to 44% crude protein depending on the variety and the roots are even as high as 23% which is unusually high for a root. They are great soil conditioners/builders. They can also help guys that don't have access to tillage equipment because the radishes can break up the soil for them and suppress weeds. Plus they leave holes in the spring that can be allow fertilizer and pulverized lime to be applied deeper into the soil column without equipment. Two years in a row of amending the soil in this way and there should be a significant change in soil fertility. However, I have not tested this theory yet. There are a lot of benefits to radishes. Especially for new plots and beginning food plotters, but in most cases they won't have the pulling power of the mixes already mentioned above.

BassBoysLLP wrote:That is a slob of a buck DeerSlayer

[ Post made via Android ] Image

He should be on my wall. About a month after that pic I had him broadside at 15 yards in a rut funnel. As I was swinging my bow to my right (with my finger on the trigger) my right elbow bumped a bulge in the trunk behind me and my bow went off unexpectedly. My arrow clipped him somewhere in the rear. I didn't see where because I wasn't looking there or expecting my bow to go off. He limped about 60 yards and then the limp went away. I almost was able to redeem myself 5 days later but he was behind me. I came to full draw, but no matter how I moved my bow one of the limbs was going to hit a branch if I let an arrow fly so I had to let down and watch him walk away. :cry:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”