Some tips on this land?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cavscout263

Some tips on this land?

Unread postby cavscout263 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 am

Hey all!
i was wondering if Dan or anyone else can look at this fingers and give me some tips on this finger. i have scouted it and have followed trails and found some bedding and scrapes. just not sure if it is buck or doe bedding. i put a trail camera near a scrape that is right next to a trail. i am hoping it can give me a clue to what is bedding around there. I was just wondering where i should place some stands?
ImageImage
here is some beds, scrapes and rubs i found(orange markers) also the yellow marker is where i saw 3-4 deer run off when i came in the woods.

is this a scrape?

Beast-Mode

Re: Some tips on this land?

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:36 am

:text-welcomewave:

Looks like a scrape to me. I will let someone with a little more experience address your stand location question.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 am

LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT A LOT OF DEER IN THE AREA WITH ALL THE BEDDING... I marked a map showing where I would expect the big bucks to bed.
As far as stand locations go, I would look at the beds in these locations and follow the exit trails and set up just out of sight, sound, and smell, but close enough to kill in daylight
cavscout263

Unread postby cavscout263 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:24 pm

The wind is usually blowing N-NW. Should I make an approach to stand from the south?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:34 pm

cavscout263 wrote:The wind is usually blowing N-NW. Should I make an approach to stand from the south?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I think that would be a mistake with a lot of the bedding in this terrain being uo on ridges. Bucks will be bedded watching the valley below and down wind and will also have thermals to smell whats down hill / down wind. Best plan of attack would be to enter on the cross wind along the ridge, but each buck bed is different, and formulating a plan for each spot is worthy of consideration.
cavscout263

Unread postby cavscout263 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 pm

yeah that is true. i am going to check out those spots you pointed out dan. i am going to try and figure each bed out and maybe i will come back here and give a few notes and see what you all think. i just really need to figure out my entrance and exit routes for the spots, wind and other beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”