Property Improvement

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Property Improvement

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 am

Where did you get the Golden Resitza?

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:10 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:I would plant some winter food plots to help take some pressure off you seedlings. The Norway's make a good wind break and visual screen if you run at least two staggered rows, but they are not usually the best option for bedding.

Okay Thanks are the trees that you have been talking about what you would suggest for bedding? I am looking to make some bedding in pink area 3. Right now it too wide open.

DEERSLAYER wrote:I would also check with your local soil conservation district office about a forester. Occasionally they have a program where a forester will come out for free to help land owners. Then you will have an expert there to help you determine what are junk trees to hinge or cut down and which soils are right for each species you want to plant. They can also recognize an invasive species that could explode and take over the area by opening the canopy.

I will definitely look into this.

DEERSLAYER wrote:
I would thicken up down to where the buck beds are and then at the bottom. I wouldn't want to thicken up an area that obstructs a bucks view of his surroundings. He wants to see down below and to the sides for safety. Everywhere else you can thicken it up to make it better.

I have struggled finding consistent buck beds on this property. Would a good rule of thumb be to thicken up top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 or would you recommend something else. (I will continue try to find more beds) The area with the most buck activity is in the far NW Corner.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Where did you get the Golden Resitza?

I got all the trees from Grandpa's Orchard: http://www.grandpasorchard.com/
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 am

Also how much space between my fruit trees would be needed for me to put the Dwarf Chinkapin in between them.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 am

dans wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:Where did you get the Golden Resitza?

I got all the trees from Grandpa's Orchard: http://www.grandpasorchard.com/

I remember that apple now. I remembered him mentioning it growing legs and the spicy lemon flavor. I think Matts website is the only place I have seen that apple. It should be a good one.

dans wrote:Also how much space between my fruit trees would be needed for me to put the Dwarf Chinkapin in between them.

I mentioned 120'-150' earlier, but as long as you will get good air flow and a minimum of at least six hours of direct sunlight (preferably more) to your fruit trees when the other plants get full size you should be good.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 am

dans wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:I would plant some winter food plots to help take some pressure off you seedlings. The Norway's make a good wind break and visual screen if you run at least two staggered rows, but they are not usually the best option for bedding.

Okay Thanks are the trees that you have been talking about what you would suggest for bedding? I am looking to make some bedding in pink area 3. Right now it too wide open.

You can use all of those shrubs I mentioned for bedding. They are all shrubby species. Including the oaks.

dans wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:
I would thicken up down to where the buck beds are and then at the bottom. I wouldn't want to thicken up an area that obstructs a bucks view of his surroundings. He wants to see down below and to the sides for safety. Everywhere else you can thicken it up to make it better.

I have struggled finding consistent buck beds on this property. Would a good rule of thumb be to thicken up top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 or would you recommend something else. (I will continue try to find more beds) The area with the most buck activity is in the far NW Corner.

I would not go that far. You don't want to cover up any military crests. I can't tell how far it is from the hill top to the bottom so I can't say how much of the bottom I would plant in order to maintain good visibility for the bucks, but it probably wouldn't be to far up. Mostly down by the edge.

Just realize that if you want to plant on the hill side you are going to have to open up that canopy and that can be a lot of work. It would be a lot easier to just plant the open area's and edges. Then grab some gas and the chainsaw and go to work hinging and girdling after your sure of what you have. You would not want to lay waste to the area only to find out later that you killed a $100K worth of walnut or similarly valuable tree!

Habitat work can be fun and certainly very gratifying, but it's hard work. If your doing a large area it's not for the faint of heart. I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to that stuff so I know I would rework the place, but it's not necessary to improve the hunting. Just using a chainsaw can do wonders.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 am

My plan at least for the time being is to only plant in the open areas. The rest I planned on hinge cutting to try to increase ground cover and let the forest floor thicken up from the additional sunlight. So would you suggest trying to only thicken up the upper areas and avoid the military crests and as for the bottom just try to thicken right near creek bed?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:25 am

Yes, thicken it up, but avoid covering the military crests and do not obstruct vision below and to the sides of them.

How much to do at the bottom depends on how far it is to the bottom. How far is it?
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:30 am

It varies the creek takes some bends. I would estimate anywhere from 125 yards to 175 yards from edge of creek to edge of trees, but that is a guess I have never measured it or anything. I will just try to use good judgement.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:02 pm

dans wrote:It varies the creek takes some bends. I would estimate anywhere from 125 yards to 175 yards from edge of creek to edge of trees, but that is a guess I have never measured it or anything. I will just try to use good judgement.

Using Acme Mapper 2.0

I was talking about from the hilltop to the bottom of the hill. I'm just trying to get an idea of how big an area I'm looking at since there isn't a measure shown on the map. How far would you guess it is from the cross hairs in the middle of the topo above to the NW corner of the property?
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Maybe 200 yards. I am not the best when it comes to amateur surveying :D

Also with my apple trees last year I put small chicken wire around tree and three T posts around that and then put chain link fence around the poles to protect from deer. The trees from the local water and soil need to be ordered this week. I plan on ordering the Dogwood Redosier, American Plum, and Norway Spruce. Should I protect each of them individually? I have heard the deer really do not touch the Norway Spruce. Not sure on others though I would assume they would do a number on them. Do you use chain link fencing? Just wondering because that will get pricey with a lot of trees.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 am

I would get some 1/8" hardware cloth and make 6” tubes to put around your fruit trees to keep mice from girdling the trees. I usually install them when I plant the trees so I can bury them 1” or 2” deep to try to keep the little buggers from going under them.

I use 4”x6” square wire fencing. It's much cheaper than chain link fence and it's plenty strong. I usually get it 5'-6' tall.

Since your dogwoods and plums will be 2'-3' tall they should be fine. I have had small Norway's like you are getting nipped off at the ground by what appeared to be rabbits during the winter and I wouldn't be surprised if a hungry deer would be willing to top them, but I haven't seen it happen. Some tall chicken wire may keep the rabbits at bay if your worried about them. Don't use tree tubes on conifers because tubes will kill them.

I would vary the spacing of the dog wood and plums 6'-8' apart and the Norway's in 2-3 staggered rows with a 12' spacing. You could do the Norway's at a 6' or 8' spacing for a quicker screen and then cut down every other one when they get big enough that they start growing into each other.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 am

So for the dogwood and plums you would just suggest some tree tubes?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 am

No. I'm saying they should be fine without tubes or any other protection. It depends on how they raise the plants, but I'm thinking they should already be decent size shrubs when you get them so they will be able to handle a little browsing.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Okay thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”