How would you go about logging this Hill Country property?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tmarbut

Re: How would you go about logging this Hill Country propert

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:42 am

Red Oak: I say you should have a good overall plan in place before you approach the logger. Consider talking to a reputable forestry consultant. Depending on the market, you may be surprised to see what kind of $$ you can get from harvesting your timber. Even if that is not your goal, it would be bad to find out, after the fact, that you essentially gave away money you could have used for your benefit. I have known many that have. In a nutshell, I guess I am suggesting you be wise & not make hasty decisions you may regret later. It cannot hurt to get a third party's opinion (timber cruise for options & market value) that may make a huge difference in how you go about making harvest & $ decisions.

It sounds like Dan's suggestions are certainly sound for deer habitat improvement. Good luck with it!

That's my two cents...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 am

I didn't see Bigburner's or Deerslayer's replies when I posted. They are spot on with their suggestions. Loggers make a living by harvesting trees. The forester's interest is in managing your land based on your desires. Further, the forester will oversee the harvest and sees things landowners do not.

...I guess I added another cent...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:46 am

I agree with the others that say get a professional opinion. Without i,t you are taking a gamble that could potentially ruin your hunting land. It will be well worth it in the ling run.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 am

We have a 80 that we had selective logged and also 15 acres completely clear cut. The clear cut is so thick with popular now. The deer really use it a lot and browse ton in there too. A small chunk clear cut can be beneficial if you have the area to do a chunk....just my opinion...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:16 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Would it be wise to wait for the WDNR's Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP)?

It would be wise to get as much info as possible prior to doing permanant changes. I think contacting a forester is wise. I think the DMAP Program would be helpful too, but I would be leary of whether they are helping manage for big bucks, or just for habitat.
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:27 am

I agree with the folks recommending hiring a forester and explaining your goals to him. I just signed a contract for a select cut on our overly mature timber through a forester which I'm hoping will be cut soon. Our goal was deer habitat first and we were with him when he marked trees so we could "save" certain ones for stands etc and get a feel for how many trees we were taking. I admit to being a bit nervous once he totaled the number of trees we marked for harvest but while on the ground marking it didn't seem excessive. The forester's cut is 10% which is fairly standard I believe.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:28 am

Without going back a re-reading everything are you to use this hunting property for both Bow and Gun?
How many acres is this?

I think a plan of attack (if choosing to bow hunt, I believe gun is a different element) is to update your map & show your existing bedding,
both Doe and Buck (if you can).
Figure out if you can loose bedding sites for better access to the existing beds and cut and/or food plot where you want them to go @ dusk/dawn.
Thicken areas to enhance daylight movement...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:48 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Without going back a re-reading everything are you to use this hunting property for both Bow and Gun?
How many acres is this?

I think a plan of attack (if choosing to bow hunt, I believe gun is a different element) is to update your map & show your existing bedding,
both Doe and Buck (if you can).
Figure out if you can loose bedding sites for better access to the existing beds and cut and/or food plot where you want them to go @ dusk/dawn.
Thicken areas to enhance daylight movement...

Yes both gun and bow. Primarly bow though. Its 94 acres total. Roughly 24 tillable. I do rent out some of the tillable but I also food plot roughly 6-7 acres of it. I do try and encourage bedding in areas that are more easily accessed/hunted. That is why I wanted to get some input from you guys on using a logger and areas/elevations to focus on improving and what type of cutting to do. Most guys just log and that is not what my goal is. Like Dan stated...I believe there is a differnce between managing for big bucks vs. just creating habitat. That was the information I was after.

Some really good input from everyone here and I appreciate it. There were a few comments on oaks...90+% of the timber on this piece is oak. (Black, Red, and White) Acorns are not in short supply in this area. I really liked Dan's idea of removing oaks around the bedding points to encourage more daytime movement... towards my food plots in this case.

dan wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Would it be wise to wait for the WDNR's Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP)?

It would be wise to get as much info as possible prior to doing permanant changes. I think contacting a forester is wise. I think the DMAP Program would be helpful too, but I would be leary of whether they are helping manage for big bucks, or just for habitat.

I had thought about this too (DMAP) but I figure with the actual amount cutting I will be doing it's more than I want to deal with. Something I will take a look at a little further down the road though for sure. I should of clarified a little better up front that I am not looking to log the whole property. After thinking it over for awhile now and listening to what was said here it will only be around 20 acres. I understand the forester recommendation and I would agree that this is wise but for the amount I am actually going to cut I feel that I have a very reputable logger lined up and between he and I we will be able to get what we are both looking for. I have visited with him face to face once already and he has a list of references (Some of which I know personally) plus I can go check out what he is doing on my neighbors before coming to mine. Prices are good, logger is next door and I feel I have a well thought out plan so now I need to go take a walk with the logger. I live pretty close to the property so I will be checking in from time to time. Thanks again for all the advice. BTW great site Dan. ;)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 am

Sounds like you have a good deal in the works. Whatever the strategy, I think you will be very happy with the results. While many people believe food plotting is the best way to improve a property, I strongly believe timber stand/bedding improvement is the best thing you can do to your property. Having a dynamite food source doesn't do you a lot of good if your target buck beds on the neighboring property every night. I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”