IN Property-I know is better than what I'm seeing

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

IN Property-I know is better than what I'm seeing

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 am

Guys, please let me know your thoughts. I have recently walked this property and found several really good areas, and two sets of beds (6 total). Let me know your thoughts and I will try to figure out how to post on the picture where the sign I found last week was on the map.

The property I hunt is the entire box of the 27. I have access from a house in the southwest corner of the property and at the farm house at the southeast east corner. I do not have any other areas to access the property.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: IN Property-I know is better than what I'm seeing

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 am

This is farm country? That's a great looking piece of property!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 am

Yes, all the white in the SE corner is AG fields. Either corn or beans or both annually. I have 3 acres in food plots as well around the field edges in big n beasty.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Ok beast hunters, are you telling me on a South wind the deer will primarily be on the south end of this property, and with a North wind they will be on the north end? I'm trying to wrap my head around leeward and wind tunnels, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:31 am

You have primarily S wind based bedding along that S ridgeline, but above that you have a pretty good mix of S, W & N wind based spots that Dan marked. The bedding in the NW corner is very versatile with only slight adjustments by the buck for a wind anywhere out of the S, W or N. The spots Dan marked are where you are most likely to find mature buck beds. These are not the only spots there will be buck beds and I suspect you will eventually find few SE & NE winds spots worth hunting too, but the spots marked above would be the places to start.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 am

The area southernmost on the map is covered up with guys that hunt right across from their houses. I have found one area that seems to be less disturbed than others. The other day walking, I found a handful of homemade blinds, stands, and trash piles from their previous hunts.

From the beast perspective, do you hunt the doe bedding areas during the rut? Of the leeward side of the ridges leading to and from the doe bedding areas? Trying to put some stand locations on the map in good travel corridors leading to the doe beds I've found. I've only found one buck bed in my 3 scouting efforts (with snow on the ground).
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:05 am

I would hunt both the leeward ridges and adjacent to the doe bedding areas

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”