How would you hunt this spot?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

How would you hunt this spot?

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Ok, so season starts on September 15. I have aquired this spot but may only get one or two days to scout it before I hunt it.

Any suggestions? Im guessing right below elevation marker #1 for the rut. Any suggestions for early season? pr too tough to tell?
Thanks

Gary

GRFox
500 Club

Re: How would you hunt this spot?

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Also I appoligize for two things,

The size of the picture, I couldnt get it any bigger without it getting crazy distorted.

And for spray painting all over the map LOL. My area is very senstive to tresspassers and poachers, and you never know who is watching! ;) ;)

Thanks again!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Any suggestions for early season?
For early season I would expect mature bucks to bed where I put the red dots... I would hunt very close but out of sit of the bedding areas that are marked. If you don't know which way they will head I would hunt at the same elevation on a trail that heads towards / from the spots I marked with the red dots.
Im guessing right below elevation marker #1 for the rut.

My rut position would be between the marker #1 & #3 I think your guess is going to be on top of bedding. I would also look at positioning on the slope that runs North/South.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:21 am

Thanks Dan, I really appreciate it, Im going to try to scout it soon.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 am

Becareful scouting this late, you could ruin your hunt before it starts. I would recomend long distance scouting, to see where bucks are feeding, and use Dan's bedding locations as a starting point. Hopefully you have a silent set up, and you can just get close enough on opening day(evening) to those beds, set up that afternoon, and nail em as he leaves his bed for the food source. JMO. Good luck and keep us posted.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 am

I agree with B. Squirrel. Its getting a little late for checking beds. Right now I would be considering setting up assuming the bucks are bedding in these positions.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:39 am

I also agree with some long distance scouting. You could maybe get away with a couple trail cams in the area if you have some food plots or ag fields.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:04 am

This area is in the suburbs, and IMO these bucks have adapted a little more than you average big woods buck. Of course, you never want to go blowing a buck out of his bed anywhere, but these suburban deer seem to have little reaction to non-hunting pressure, but by the middle of November, they walk around looking in the trees for you......seriously, they do!! I wish someone would write a buook on suburban hunting....hmmm maybe I will one day lol.

As for long distance scouting, its all hardwoods, and its surrounded by roads, houses, and shopping centers. So it will be difficult. Ill try to be as non-intrusive as possible, all Im going to do is pick a tree for my climber and leave trail tacks on my way out.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 am

They will tolerate more human scent... BUT, not where they bed.
I altered your map again and added some blue circles ( representing the safe zone ) . Inside these circles is where I would expect 95% of the mature buck daylight movement to be outside of the rut.
If it were me, I would be looking to set up near the outside of the blue circles just out of sight and sound of his bed.
I would personally scout it the day I hunt it, but if you must go now, I would stay out of the inside of the blue circles and scout the perimeter for where the buck enters and exits this zone when going too, and coming from bedding.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 am

Awesome, thanks again Dan, I consider getting advice from you a privilege. I guess I will approach the area from the opposite side (where marker 2 is) I am only going to pick a tree and leave cat eyes on the way out. Also how often do you think I could hunt those points without blowing him out?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:27 am

I would hunt each no more than once every 30 days unless I saw the buck just out of range and he seemed unaware to my presence.
Your comment about the "cats eyes" makes me think your considering hunting here during the mornings? Or are you marking your exit trail?
I would consider only hunting these spots in the evening.
Most mornings outside of rut mature bucks are bedded before daylight, but in the evenings they are up an hour or two before dark.
The mornings I choose to hunt are weather or moon phase related, and when I do hunt mornings outside the rut my stand is generally placed right over the top of the bucks bedding area or actual bed.
You will get more action and better results concentrating on this property for evening hunts until the last week of October thru the second week of November when morning hunting is really good. Even if you do get the proper moon or weather, I don't think your scouting has been in depth enough to know exactly where the bucks bed is located.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:52 am

Hey just wanted to revisit this map. I will be hunting here tommarow afternoon on a North wind. So I would want to be BELOW the main trail in the top third on the south side of the mountain correct?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:36 am

GRFox wrote:Hey just wanted to revisit this map. I will be hunting here tommarow afternoon on a North wind. So I would want to be BELOW the main trail in the top third on the south side of the mountain correct?

Below will blow your thermal wind uphill to the deer trail until sunset when it reverses. Above will blow up and away till the magic last 1/2 hour and then reverse and blow right to the trail.
You have to play the thermal factors in with the wind direction and the land contour. I personally usually end up below the trail hunting high and trying to get close enough to have my thermals blow over the deer that show up before the thermal change. and maybe high enough to catch the actual wind. But each situation is different and wind checkers often make the decision for me.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 am

I was thinking that the valley floor wouldn't start cooling till after dark, but wasnt sure. Thank you. Ill let you know how I make out.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey GRfox how was your hunt in this location? Did you hunt the edges or did you hunt around the area in the blue circles? Thanks and good luck
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”