Rabbit habitat

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Rabbit habitat

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't own much land and what I do own won't hold deer. We bought a beagle pup that is now 7months old. I would like a local population of rabbits to run the dog for training purposes. Typically the neighbors 10acre pine tree planting holds lots of rabbits. This year the yotes and cats cleaned house. I noticed I have a rabbit sticking around the house(few tracks). I decided to turn a small area into rabbit habitat. The area in question is a large hole/hill with lots of young trees (whips). I got out the hand saw tonight and did some hinge cutting. Every tree I hinged laid over perfectly. It was very exciting. I'm going to try to create a den or two in this area. I'm not sure what I'll do, but have in my head plans to create a box divided into 4 quadrants. I will hinge the top so I can open it to see if rabbits are using it. I'll connect a length of 6" corrugated tubing about 10ft long. Each separate quadrant will have its own tube. Not sure if the rabbits would use this idea or not? My hinge cutting is going to provide food and cover from owls/hawks. Other predators will be able to pursue them on the ground. Hopefully more ground trash like briars and new growth will add ground cover to keep the running predators at bay. It's a work in progress, will post some pics tomorrow.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Rabbit habitat

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track with your management.

If you like rabbit hunting, I highly recommend South Dakota. Awesome hunting and generous bag limits, especially if you know a few land owners. 8-)

Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Kenn my memory is a little foggy but was you who posted about hunting old strip mines? If anyone has any old mine dumps in their areas the rabbits LOVE them. The larger boulders create nice little caves for them to hide out, trees don't grow well there but brush and new shoots pop up all over the place. As kids we use to clean up on rabbits near any old mine dumps or tailings area. 20-30 a day was pretty standard.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Pallets, old wire rolls, and big brush piles seem to hold them

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:06 pm

BassboysLLP: wow that's a mess of rabbits ya got there. Is that over a few days of hunting?

Headgear, good memory. I was the one asking about hunting strip mines. Unfortunately those mines are about 5hrs from me. Lots of guys do run rabbits there though.

Mike, how's it going? I've got some pallets, but no brush or old wire rolls. This is a fun little project, gives me a change to manipulate some habitat. Will also give me a project the kids can help me assemble a wood project. Hammer/nails, drill/screws, kids love that stuff.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:12 pm

kenn1320 wrote:BassboysLLP: wow that's a mess of rabbits ya got there. Is that over a few days of hunting?

Headgear, good memory. I was the one asking about hunting strip mines. Unfortunately those mines are about 5hrs from me. Lots of guys do run rabbits there though.

Mike, how's it going? I've got some pallets, but no brush or old wire rolls. This is a fun little project, gives me a change to manipulate some habitat. Will also give me a project the kids can help me assemble a wood project. Hammer/nails, drill/screws, kids love that stuff.

Single day of hunting. 8-)

Cottontails are often considered a junk animal in SD as they compete with pheasants for habitat. Like pheasants they stack up in wind rows once the snow flies. No one hunts them seriously so the hunting is action packed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:20 am

Couple pics of my little project.

Here is a view looking up hill to the west. It doesnt look like much, but its what I have to work with. Ive only hinged about 8 trees, but will hinge most of them before Im done. Ill leave the ones that are too skinny for hinging next year or the year after.

Here is the view looking down the hill to the east. You can see a couple of the hinged trees. Just noticed that brush pile on the neighbors property. They create a pile every year and burn it. Ill be talking to them and creating a pile on my place. 8-) The rabbits will use it on my property, cause I will actually create a way for them to move around under the pile, like pallets or something to create space under the pile. I noticed my other neighbor cut off some pine branhes, maybe due to ice damage the other day. Im sure they will look at me funny when I ask if I can have them, but cover is cover. :lol:

Here is a close up of the hinge cut. Im cutting them knee high or less. If this was for deer, I would cut them higher. You could cut them down in the 6" range, but since Im using a hand saw, this is low enough. :violin:
What kind of tree is this, box elder maybe?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:38 am

You could always get a trailer and load it up with old christmas trees as they appear on the side of the road over the next couple of weeks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:44 am

Results of our bow clubs one day two man rabbit hunt. Junk yards hold a lot of rabbits.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:50 am

Stanley wrote:Results of our bow clubs one day two man rabbit hunt. Junk yards hold a lot of rabbits.

Nice spread Stan. :L: All taken with the bow?!?

Agree with Stan 100% on junk yards. Any habitat that generates "caves" is going to hold rabbits. Some of my favorite spots are junk yards next to food sources.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:19 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:Results of our bow clubs one day two man rabbit hunt. Junk yards hold a lot of rabbits.

Agree with Stan 100% on junk yards. Any habitat that generates "caves" is going to hold rabbits. Some of my favorite spots are junk yards next to food sources.

Yep all bow kills.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:44 am

Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Yep all bow kills.

Way cool. Very impressive! 8-)
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah my dad said same thing about the old Xmas trees.

Nice Stanley, did you get in on the action?

I finished hinging all but 2 trees tonight. They are leaning the wrong way and will require a little persuasion from the tractor and a long rope. I had a big one that wouldn't go over and was able to hook it with a rope and bring it down. I pushed (2) logs in that area earlier this year. They are about 12" diameter. Tonight I stepped down the snow along the log and laid down (2) pallets, one on each side. The log holds one side of the pallets up like a leantoo. I stacked a couple pine branches on, and will pile on some more over the next couple days.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:28 am

kenn1320 wrote:Nice Stanley, did you get in on the action?

Kenn I found him in the corner of this pic.
It was like a where's Waldo, but in Stanley fashion - Where's Stano if you will...

It appears he smiles more while while rabbit hunting, see for yourself!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:31 am

Ed, you made my day!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”