What do you think?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

What do you think?

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Gents,

This is some land that my family inherited long ago. This is one of the main places i hunt throughout the season. Most of it was clearcut 7 years ago(not my call) and it is thick as all get out now. A few years back, we put in two ponds (blue circles). This place holds a ton of deer. But the only places you can really hunt it is by hunting the fingers of trees (creek beds) that jet through the clear cut and, of course, the ag field edges. I am constantly my refining my stand placement and always feel as if I could have done more to prepare for the season. My luck is that there are only a few of us who hunt it, so I am free to put stands where i want. My stands this year are indicated by the yellow pennants. It's super tough to hunt due to the clearcut. The red indicates the border of our property. I'd like to hear where you guys think I could improve my hunting on this piece. Stands placed good? Where can I improve? Where do you think a mature buck would bed? This property is near and dear to my heart and I am not above getting it straight forward from you professionals. I've been hunting Beast Style for only a few years and I still have a ton to learn. Thanks in advance.

VA

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Zap

Re: What do you think?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Very thick areas that have deer trails can be hunted effectively from the ground.

Cut shooting lanes that v from your hide.
Watch deer go thru one end of the v and shoot deer in the other.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Zap wrote:Very thick areas that have deer trails can be hunted effectively from the ground.

Cut shooting lanes that v from your hide.
Watch deer go thru one end of the v and shoot deer in the other.

With a blind? I don't know brother. This stuff is so thick and briary, that if you were to walk through it you might not make it out with clothes.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Sounds pretty thick... :?

I don't like blinds, you can hunt off the ground without one.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Zap wrote:Sounds pretty thick... :?

I don't like blinds, you can hunt off the ground without one.

Ya I know. It's 7yo clearcut wild growth. It's pretty gnarly...
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:21 pm

If you cut a trail to your hide and then the v lanes.......the deer will probably use it, so watch your 60.

:lol:
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Zap wrote:If you cut a trail to your hide and then the v lanes.......the deer will probably use it, so watch your 60.

I assume you would be at the point of the v....how many V lanes would you cut out? What's the best thing to cut them with? I have some clearcut area and you couldn't get a bush hog in there with all the stumps left over...I'm thinking a weedeater with a metal blade or one of those brush trimmer deals?
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Bump
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:50 am

1st off, I think you need to go to the deer not sit back and wait for them to come to you. On this property it probably means getting out of the tree lines and hunting off the ground a lot more. You could also try tri-pod type stands that don't need a tree. I often hunt off the top of a painters ladder.

However, here is a spot with some trees that looks great to m e, but seems to be over looked by you? The yellow dots are where I would suspect bucks to bed, the blue dots are approximate hunting spots.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:59 am

One of the good things about thick areas is that the deer cant see as well and you can get closer. This same property in mature woods you would have as hard time getting close. Your biggest obstacle in hill country off the ground is going to be varible winds and thermals changing a lot. Here is another map:

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 am

Sounds like an awesome piece of land. If your willing to invest time and $$$ (sweat and blood also) you can have some great hunting. If you cut a trail, the deer will use it. Get a chainsaw, weed whip with steel blade, or one of those DR field mowers and plan out paths to funnel deer past good stand locations. Watch some of these videos and let your imagination run wild.
http://whitetailambushsecrets.com

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:26 am

dan wrote:1st off, I think you need to go to the deer not sit back and wait for them to come to you. On this property it probably means getting out of the tree lines and hunting off the ground a lot more. You could also try tri-pod type stands that don't need a tree. I often hunt off the top of a painters ladder.

However, here is a spot with some trees that looks great to m e, but seems to be over looked by you? The yellow dots are where I would suspect bucks to bed, the blue dots are approximate hunting spots.

Dan,

They are definitely overlooked spots. When would you hunt them/? Morning/Night/All Day?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:32 am

checkerfred wrote:
Zap wrote:If you cut a trail to your hide and then the v lanes.......the deer will probably use it, so watch your 60.

I assume you would be at the point of the v....how many V lanes would you cut out? What's the best thing to cut them with? I have some clearcut area and you couldn't get a bush hog in there with all the stumps left over...I'm thinking a weedeater with a metal blade or one of those brush trimmer deals?

Yes, point of the v.
When you cut lanes like this you do not want to cut to the ground, you want a hole to shoot thru as the deer quarters away..

Sit still and deer passes one lane, draw and shoot as it is in the next.
Maybe 10 yards in between lanes.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:39 am

Also, the blue arrow I assume is how you would want it to be when hunting these spots. The orange arrow is the direction of the predominant wind for this area. Would that change your opinion or stand placement.? I really do appreciate this.

VA

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:50 am

On that wind I would look at the second topo that Dan posted and the beds that bucks would use for that situation.

Leeward side of the slope.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”