Clear Cutting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CountryboyNC

Clear Cutting

Unread postby CountryboyNC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 am

I have the potential to lease 150 acres for a good price next year. I used to hunt it in the past and have seen plenty of deer and turkey's. However last summer they clear cut all the hardwoods and left the pines. There is a big pond and about 50 acres of fields that are alternated between beans and corn. I walked part of the land yesterday and found some tracks, both deer and turkey, just not as many as I would have liked. I also found a few rubs and scrapes. Basically long story short, with all the surrounding hundreds of acres still having standing hardwoods , do you think it would be worth the effort to attempt to hunt this land, any success on clear cut land in the past? Just tryin to get opinions before spending the money

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Clear Cutting

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:30 am

I think the understory will take off and grow like crazy now. It could end up being a wildlife paradise.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 am

Yep agree with Stan, that place is going to thicken up fast and you will see the deer move in. Any natural hill or marsh bedding on the property? That could add to the quality and hopefully hold some nice bucks in the area.
CountryboyNC

Unread postby CountryboyNC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:53 am

It's pretty hilly, haven't got te chance to look it over real well, ill try to get some topos and google earth pics up for you guys.

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:19 am

Did they leave the tree tops? Instant bedding cover right there.

Then, as mentioned, it's going to explode into a jungle soon.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:59 am

Lease it cheap now and hope the price stays cheap after you start killing good bucks. You have bedding, water and food on 150 acres. One of the difficult tasks might be to not over hunt it.

QDMAMAN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1413515247

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am

I agree with the others, this place will explode with cover and browse.
The only thing I would do if I was you would be to attempt to get a long term lease established now, or at least an option!
I'd also negotiate the ability to plant plots. Stragically placed in clear cuts now, will create great opportunities in the near future.
"Education is important, but goin' huntin' is importanter." - Earl Dibble Jr.
CountryboyNC

Unread postby CountryboyNC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:02 am

I'll try to get some photos up tonight or tomorrow. They are wanting 500 a year to lease since My brother is friends with there son. This sound like a reasonable price?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:24 am

CountryboyNC wrote:I'll try to get some photos up tonight or tomorrow. They are wanting 500 a year to lease since My brother is friends with there son. This sound like a reasonable price?

Very reasonable price. What kind of hardwoods?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
CountryboyNC

Unread postby CountryboyNC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 am

I haven't wandered to the neighboring land, but I know it's mainly non oak tree. It's very open with limited cover from what I can tell. One side is a quail preserve and the other is leased by a couple attorneys who live a few hours away

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:41 am

Sometimes oak flats will grow back slow after clear cutting depending on circumstances, but things like Maple and popplar come back very quickly and provide good browse too. It sounds like it should come back fast and be loaded with deer in a couple years. You may get a lot of growth this summer and it may be great hunting next fall. Especially if you have enough pines left for decent cover. I would lease it while you can.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
QDMAMAN
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1413515247

Unread postby QDMAMAN » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 am

CountryboyNC wrote:I'll try to get some photos up tonight or tomorrow. They are wanting 500 a year to lease since My brother is friends with there son. This sound like a reasonable price?

If you can get 150 acres for $500.00 I'd be all over it like stink on a skunk. We pay $3500.00 for 210 acres in southern Michigan.
"Education is important, but goin' huntin' is importanter." - Earl Dibble Jr.
CountryboyNC

Unread postby CountryboyNC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 am

I'm going to close the deal on this, I'll post up a few pics, and older google earth ad a topo tonight for you guys and let y'all pick it over, I'm gonna need some food plot advice and when to start as I have no clue.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 am

CountryboyNC wrote:I'm going to close the deal on this, I'll post up a few pics, and older google earth ad a topo tonight for you guys and let y'all pick it over, I'm gonna need some food plot advice and when to start as I have no clue.

Slayer is your man on the plot advice.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
CountryboyNC

Unread postby CountryboyNC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 am

the other side of the land im leasing is leased by a couple people that live a ways away and rarely hunt from what I understand. The hard woods in this photo as you can see were cut, but all the pine is still standing, any ideas?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”