How did I do picking beds?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

How did I do picking beds?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:27 am

Here is a aerial and topo, of the 160 acre hill country land I hunt.
On the Topo, I have placed color coded dots to correspond with where I think the beds might be, during respective winds. Let me know what you think. The orange line is a road which is basically my only access. Also, the tops have a rotation of corn and beans. No water up high, except for 2 recently placed water tubs.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How did I do picking beds?

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:27 am

Your pic's don't look to bad... I would say your a little to high on the elevation, drop down a line or two... Some of your pic's look a little desperate but could certainly hold beds too, so they would be worth checking. Its going to be the points along steep terrain where you find the buck bedding. The bucks should be bedded right where the terrain starts to rapidly drop.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:48 am

Ok... Don't kill me I am not an artist! :lol:
Here is a picture/drawing to get my point across.

In the Topo pic I drew a red line along the landscape. A blue dot depicts where the buck would be bedded on a West wind.
Now look at the drawing at the bottom. The BLUE line shows a cross section of the landscape ( looking from the side instead of from above. )
Everything above that line is supposed to be above ground...
Notice how the ground tapers towards the bedded buck ( Red dot is bedded buck in drawing ) downward. The buck is bedded right where the hill side drops of steep.
The pink arrow depicts the West wind direction that makes the buck want to bed here smelling everything from above. The green arrow is the daytime thermal wind current blowing up the hill carrying any intruders scent from below up the hill.
The green and pink swirling arrows show the "wind tunnel" where the two winds meet. The buck would bed where these two winds meet at the most intensity.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 am

Good drawing and explanation.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

dan wrote: Some of your pic's look a little desperate but could certainly hold beds too, so they would be worth checking.

Wishfull thinking, I guess. :lol:
dan wrote:Ok... Don't kill me I am not an artist! :lol:
Here is a picture/drawing to get my point across.

In the Topo pic I drew a red line along the landscape. A blue dot depicts where the buck would be bedded on a West wind.
Now look at the drawing at the bottom. The BLUE line shows a cross section of the landscape ( looking from the side instead of from above. )
Everything above that line is supposed to be above ground...
Notice how the ground tapers towards the bedded buck ( Red dot is bedded buck in drawing ) downward. The buck is bedded right where the hill side drops of steep.
The pink arrow depicts the West wind direction that makes the buck want to bed here smelling everything from above. The green arrow is the daytime thermal wind current blowing up the hill carrying any intruders scent from below up the hill.
The green and pink swirling arrows show the "wind tunnel" where the two winds meet. The buck would bed where these two winds meet at the most intensity.

Nice description, thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”