Trying to learn the 'Beast' Method --- Help!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mzldr2

Trying to learn the 'Beast' Method --- Help!

Unread postby mzldr2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 am

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the info on the site for several weeks and watched Hill Country Bucks DVD about 20 times. (BTW - super fast delivery - Thx Dan!) I've been archery/rifle/muzzy hunting for 25 years and it feels like I am completely starting over based on all of this great new eye opening information.

Now I'm trying to apply it and I'm starting to get tangled up in my underwear!

The below pics are of my in-laws farm / mountain property. The redline outlines the are BUT the blue box in the middle is off limits as it is owned by someone else (long story) The bottom of the hill is all farm land and the 3rd picture shows a wider view of all of the farm fields to the North and West. It is a working farmland, so the fields have mixtures of corn and beans. The area the the yellow bubble are food plots containing a variety of brassica and other deer loving plants.

The area sees moderate pressure. During archery season there are 4-5 guys that usually hunt it over the course of the 6 week PA archery season. During Rifle season there are 8-10 guys for the first 2-3 days, then not much going on. All of the surrounding property is hunted moderately as well.

The deer historically head to the fields to eat in the evening and then head back up the hill in the AM. Monday was the rifle opener in PA and I hunted Monday and Tuesday. I tried to apply the the info I learned but I still think I am missing something. I saw several 1.5yr old bucks but nothing older. The trail cams at camp have several mature buck showing up and they are often seen in the fields at night, so I know they are in the area. We had a SSE wind both Monday and Tuesday, which I thought would be perfect for our property as far as the deer bedding on or side.

Sorry for long post, but I'm looking for any feedback or help before I head back up for Friday and Saturday.

Questions I have about the property:
1) Where are the most likely bedding areas?
2) Where are some suggestions for stand locations to intercept a mature deer
3) Based on the wide view of the area, do you think the deer stay on the property or use the fields to eat and then head further back over the hill?
4) If there is a W / NW / N / NE wind, where do you hunt since it is the normal wind direction

Any feedback, suggestions, or help is much appreciated.

brkissl82
500 Club

Re: Trying to learn the 'Beast' Method --- Help!

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:35 am

Ill leave the map marking to those much smarter than I, but I hear ya man when I first learned of the beast style it felt like I was starting all over. Instead of just hunting like I use to I now 2nd guess everything I do!!

But welcome to the beast and good luck

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mzldr2

Unread postby mzldr2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:52 am

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts. Headed back up later today...

Thx
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 am

There is really no structure in that piece other than the point down by the "Markle" in the lower left corner and the inside corner that the field edge makes. Those two spots are where I would focus.....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Bucky wrote:There is really no structure in that piece other than the point down by the "Markle" in the lower left corner and the inside corner that the field edge makes. Those two spots are where I would focus.....

Thats exactly what I was thinking...

1) Where are the most likely bedding areas?

As Bucky said, that Markle area is about the only bedding structure I see... I would think there is probably some bucks bedding along the top of of your property along the border because thats the thermal tunnel elevation. But it lacks good bedding points. Its also going to take good hard scouting to find those beds and you would need to come up the hill way off to the side to avoid thermals giving you away in the evening. Do you have top access?

2) Where are some suggestions for stand locations to intercept a mature deer

South west corner maybe... This is a property that needs to be walked to pin point. During rut I would expect bucks to run the ridge at your south border while cruising for does.
3) Based on the wide view of the area, do you think the deer stay on the property or use the fields to eat and then head further back over the hill?
Depends on the wind, I think the best bedding on your property will be on South and East winds... On N. and West they would likely prefer the other side of the ridge off your property.
mzldr2

Unread postby mzldr2 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Dan, Bucky,

Thx for the feedback! I will definitely get up on top and scout the the top and that point. Everyone usually hunts down much lower, so very few people ever get to the top or out on that point.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”