Planting Cedar tree's in Souther Wisconsin?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Planting Cedar tree's in Souther Wisconsin?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 am

I didn't want to hi-jack the other cedar tree thread, so I started this one... Can anyone tell me if cedar tree's are hard to grow in Southern Wisconsin? Meaning, do the deer eat them if you plant young one's? I know they probably grow really slow, but was wondering if the deer will eat them off as fast as a guy plants them? Would love to try planting some of them on our land off of the ridges.....

seeds

Re: Planting Cedar tree's in Souther Wisconsin?

Unread postby seeds » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am

Deer eat them both but they prefer white cedar. They are called arbor vitae in the landscape industry. Folks who live near deer "sanctuaries" either protect them from browsing during winter,or simply live with the natural trimming....Red cedar is also called juniper. It grows wild and in some places is considered an invasive by the WDNR.

Wrap larger ones in burlap during winter to protect from browsing. Smaller ones can be caged but be sure a deer can't get at it.

Aarrgh - speaking of that...I just remembered I gotta "cage" the rose bushes and winter just got here today.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:58 am

The cedar trees will grow in just about any soil type. I have never seen deer eat cedar trees (not saying they wouldn't just never seen them). Now, pine trees are a different story especially the white pine.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:29 am

They will grow fine in that area, but white cedar are a preferred browse species, especially in the winter and the deer will hit them hard. Deer will not normally eat red cedar unless they are extremely hungry. Are you looking to plant them for screening cover?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:They will grow fine in that area, but white cedar are a preferred browse species, especially in the winter and the deer will hit them hard. Deer will not normally eat red cedar unless they are extremely hungry. Are you looking to plant them for screening cover?

Yes, screening cover.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am

Arbs prefer a moister soil than junipers. A "cedar swamp" is white cedar/arbor vitae. Junipers will grow in a crack in a cliff face but in a marsh only on higher ground.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am

seeds wrote:Arbs prefer a moister soil than junipers. A "cedar swamp" is white cedar/arbor vitae. Junipers will grow in a crack in a cliff face but in a marsh only on higher ground.

Well, I will be planting in hill country on some ridge points....
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Don't go with white cedar on ridge points unless you fence it. It will be browsed to death on a bedding point. Stick with the other less palatable options noted.

Also, cedar is relatively slow growing. You may want to throw in few spruce and pine for quicker establishment.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:40 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Don't go with white cedar on ridge points unless you fence it. It will be browsed to death on a bedding point. Stick with the other less palatable options noted.

Also, cedar is relatively slow growing. You may want to throw in few spruce and pine for quicker establishment.

White cedar will likely not last long even during the summer. I planted 500 white cedar on a property here in MidMichigan during late spring only to have them completely browsed by the following fall... not a single white cedar remained.

It takes a hundred years to regenerate a stand of mature white cedar... if they are protected when young. That is why cutting down mature white cedar should be a prosecutable crime in my view, as here in the north they provide thermal protection and are the only browse species a whitetail deer can eat in exclusion to other foods and survive the winter. Replacing them takes a century and you have to protect all the young trees from being browsed. Deep snows in the Lake Superior snow belt protect the regeneration of the young cedars from deer, but outside of that region the young trees have to be caged (or some other protective barrier).
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:40 am

after reading some of your responses, and some more research, I'm thinking now maybe I should go with some black spruce...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 am

dreaming bucks wrote:after reading some of your responses, and some more research, I'm thinking now maybe I should go with some black spruce...

I think that is a good idea. I have some areas of it and it gets nice and thick and the deer don't eat it. It grows at a moderate rate too. You could plant some in doughnut Or a U shape and maybe create a buck bed :think: . I'm no expert on that, just thinking out loud.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 am

Black Squirrel wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:after reading some of your responses, and some more research, I'm thinking now maybe I should go with some black spruce...

I think that is a good idea. I have some areas of it and it gets nice and thick and the deer don't eat it. It grows at a moderate rate too. You could plant some in doughnut Or a U shape and maybe create a buck bed :think: . I'm no expert on that, just thinking out loud.

i was thinking the same thing B.S.... but I also am no expert.. but ya I was thinking also U shaped around the point, but I'm guessing you would want the tree's to be behind where the deer would bed....correct? That way he can still look down the hill to watch for danger? I don't know, I'm just hoping I don't do more harm than good if I don't put them in the "right" place.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:28 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:

i was thinking the same thing B.S.... but I also am no expert.. but ya I was thinking also U shaped around the point, but I'm guessing you would want the tree's to be behind where the deer would bed....correct? That way he can still look down the hill to watch for danger? I don't know, I'm just hoping I don't do more harm than good if I don't put them in the "right" place.

Yes, I'm thinking you would still want to let them see down hill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”