River Bottoms

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wisky_hunter

River Bottoms

Unread postby wisky_hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:01 am

Great site, with an awesome forum. First post here, but have been doing a lot of reading.

One thing i was looking for but could not find was how to locate bedding on river bottoms. The land has a good hardwood canopy with some small pockets of marsh grass, otherwise very little understory. There are a few higher spots that wont show on a Topo and a few water pockets. The land is completely submerged every spring when the snow melts so spring scouting is pretty much out unless i can hit it just right. But even then everything will be washed away shortly after.

Although there are a some Farm ponds up on the ridge tops i believe this to be a primary water source. There are a couple of nice trails leading from the hills down to the bottoms. (across a busy highway).

How would you start in a situation like this? Do deer choose the same bedding year after year? Would i be best served to scout this fall while hunting it? Will that burn the bridge?

Any and all input is appreciated!!

Bucky

Re: River Bottoms

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am

Fallen trees or brush on the oxbows. Look for Scultz's river bottom thread.... it has examples of where expected buck/doe bedding would be with travel routes and stand locals.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
wisky_hunter

Unread postby wisky_hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Bucky i found the thread you mentioned, some good stuff in there for sure, bit different then what i am looking at.

Here are a few images of the area i am talking about, the First is low water, the 2nd is high water. (not quite flooded yet, but close) the 3rd is a topo. The black line is a pretty busy Highway and the red lines are two crossings that usually are worn to the dirt on the south side of the road, but spider out on the north. Winds are predominantly from the west and east shifting to the north, rare to see south wind here.

The dotted line on the topo is an old road that has grown over, it is raised a bit with spots that have been washed away over the years. Access from the south and East on foot, North and West by boat only.

Low water:

High Water:

Topo:

Any suggestions/thoughts on how to scout and hunt this piece would be great. I have hunted here before and know the land pretty well, that said a fresh prespective is most appreciated.

Cheers and thank you!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Big river, bottom ground :lol:

I would look for slight raises in the topography... on those edges. Or on the edge of the tickest stuff you can find in there

Where the old road goes East n West looks like a pretty good travel corridor.
[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

I was in a river bottom tonight. Much easier to hunt river bottoms on wet years than dry years. Not talking flooding just wet ground. Look for the tall grass and brush on dry years. Look for the high spots with cover on the wet years. Get some good chest waders and you will increase your odds greatly on a wet year. Deer tend to casually walk around water on wet years. They will get wet when pushed though. On dry years it is so tough to hunt with a wind in mind. There just isn't enough ground structure to direct the deer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”