What plant is this?????

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: What plant is this?????

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:09 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Daikon radish

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yup. That's some type of Daikon radish. No way to tell which variety just by looking at it though. Daikon's are one of the radish types I put in the Ravishing Radishes mix. Some of the RR mix also goes into the Brassica Buffet mix (~20%).

Wlog wrote:These radishes are planted as a cover crop. The idea is, when the radish rotts it leaves a hole for drainage when the ground thaws out in the spring. My father in law plants them behind corn every year. As far as I can tell nothing really seems to eat them. It's actually pretty interesting how their planted. They spray them over the corn field while the corn is still standing from a crop duster.

Certain varieties of Daikon radishes are getting real popular with farmers as a cover crop and I think you will continue to see an increase in their use. They are excellent soil conditioners. They bring up lots of nutrients from deep in the soil column, add organic matter, suppress weeds and scavenge lots of nitrogen too.

BassBoysLLP wrote:Also known as trophy radish if you like paying too much for your seed. They eat them early by me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

One of the varieties I use is so close to the Trophy Radish that you would have a hard time telling the difference in the lab and you would never see a difference in a food plot IMO. Plus they are a fraction of the price. The deer usually eat them early but will hit them into winter too.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”