round up ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

round up ?

Unread postby tim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:04 am

i need to know if round up is safe to control weeds around apple trees, i have read mixed reviews on this. if unsafe how does everyone control the weeds around their apple trees or do you let the weeds grow, or do you pull em by hand :shock: ?

dreaming bucks

Re: round up ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am

I have did it before, but you have to be very careful of not getting any on the green leaves of the tree. I did it when the wind was calm out, early in the morning is usually pretty calm..... My cousin takes mulch right away and makes a circle around the tree probably around 3 feet in diameter, which keeps the weeds down also..
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:30 am

I spray around mine all the time. I've never had a problem. The precautions that dreaming bucks mentioned are spot on. Also avoid overspray of the following:

1.) Small shooters growing from the base of the tree; common when the tree is first establishing itself.
2.) Small scars along the base of the tree from rodents. I suspect you have already wrapped your trees to prevent girdling.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

ok thanks for the response, yest the bottoms are all protected. i didnt have a chance to mulch yet. i was hoping everything would stay dead at this point from clearing when planting for the fall. but i will have to clear the area really well in the spring and get mulch around them. this was quite the project i must say . im glad i had my cousine to help with the fence i put up to protect them from the deer. how often do you guys use round up then in the growing season.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 am

also it doesnt matter that i just planted them this fall, they will be okay in the spring to spray the roundup. i wasnt sure if them being newly planted if that would matter either.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 am

I never use round up directly on apple trees. It can kill them if it's sprayed on the leaves or the living bark of young trees. Cover the trunk and spray around the base on a calm day.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”