Can anyone tell me anything about Clare County, MI?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Can anyone tell me anything about Clare County, MI?

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:48 am

Kicking around the idea of buying a recreational property in middle Michigan. Looking for mostly a wooded property to hunt and vacation/get away on. We are not into snowmobiles now but could go that route in the future.

Carol
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone tell me anything about Clare County, MI?

Unread postby Carol » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:03 am

There are 88 lakes in Clare County, MI....... :dance:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks Carol, :D Fishing would obviously be a big draw for my family also.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:42 am

I live right next to Clare county, a few miles away and I am very familiar with it. We also have a few members that are very familiar with it... getting ready to hunt right now, but I'll get back to you. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 am

Ok, Clare county Michigan you say- here are some positives and negatives, we'll start with a few good things-

* Clare county really is in the middle of lower Michigan, with US 127 getting you right into the heart of the county.
* Jay's Sporting Goods is in Clare, one of Michigan's largest hunting and fishing stores. Everything you need to hunt and fish would be very close and a short drive.
* An hour or so to the west will get you to Ludington and Lake Michigan, with fabulous salmon fishing.
* An hour or so the east will get you to Saginaw Bay, a premier walleye destination on Lake Huron.
* There are some good bucks in Clare county, getting some age on them is tough though.
* When you read about Ed Spinazola (sp?) in QDMA, one of his properties is in Clare county.
* Johny Eberhart is from Clare county

Some negatives:

* Clare county is one of the most heavily hunted counties in Michigan. The pressure on public land can be mind-boggling. Private land isn't much better, deer season is many people's reason for being alive.
* You can post your property every five feet with huge no trespassing signs, and as soon as people realize you are not a local, The bad ones (trespassers) will be hunting your property. This is a virtual guarantee... unless you have a relative that lives nearby or a trusted neighbor who regularly patrols it. Even then, trespassers will likely hunt it.
* the small lakes are numerous and fun, fishing locally is ok but from a "big fish" destination standpoint you can do a lot better. Many of the lakes have stunted and overpopulated numbers of fish.
* having enough snow to make snowmobiling worthwhile in Clare county is very hit or miss.

Do you have other specifics you would like ask?
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks Bridge,

Extremely helpful info. I anticipated trespassing being an issue and would absolutely be looking for a neighbor or someone close to keep an eye on things. We are looking at a properties in the 40-100 acre range. Clare County is about 3 hrs from where we live now but I would like being within a couple hours of Mackinaw City, Traverse City and Lansing. We will be looking more seriously in the spring and next summer, but thanks for the info. We wouldn't be real concerned with trying to grow world class deer, just somewhere else to go and hunt a few times a year. Thanks again, I'll keep in mind that Clare County is close to you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”