Family land - Topo and Aerial photos- HELP!

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ccy333

Family land - Topo and Aerial photos- HELP!

Unread postby ccy333 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:21 am

Good day all,
I first learned of Dan and this site after hearing about the Hill Country Bucks DVD. I just got it last week and have had my wheels spinning ever since!
This is an ~1000 acres in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains Plateau. This has been my family's land for YEARS. I grew up gun hunting it, but not very seriously. The last three years I have really focused on bow hunting only. I have walked most of the property and have started to get the feel for how deer use it. I have created VERY detailed maps of everything I have found so far. It makes me sick to think how much more benificial my scouting would have been if I had watched DVD sooner!! Many things I have noticed for the last few years "clicked" after watching the video.

I removed everything from the maps except property lines, houses, and water. I planted some small plots (Rye, Oats, Peas, Radishes, Clover, Turnips, Rape) in the North edge of field/timber. I had buckwheat in there this summer and converted to fall plot late August. It was very dry late this summer, so they got a late start but are starting to get going and have another rain today. No mature bucks using them so far, but loaded with does and 1.5yr old bucks.
There is a blacktop road running through the middle of the bottom.

The woods is Big timber, Lots of oaks... with acorns this year for the first time in 3 years.
I have a lot of stands back in the woods, but have mobile setup this year and really am looking forward to trying some new places out.
I have had some good pics of 4-5 shooter deer the last couple of years, but no mature buck encounters in the woods.
I know a couple of areas where I have kicked up "bigger" bucks, but havent pinned down any for sure buck beds. I do have quite a few doe beds pinned down.

I know this is a big area, but I would really appreciate someones viewpoint who is looking at it with fresh eyes. I will be glad to answer any questions that anyone has.
Thanks for the help. I am loving digging through this site and learning SO MUCH!!

ccy333

Re: Family land - Topo and Aerial photos- HELP!

Unread postby ccy333 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:03 am

That was kind of vague. Maybe I should start with a more specific question...

I have trouble finding good spots to hunt with wind blowing from South.
Anyone see any places that would work out better for that wind? And comments on how you think about access to these spots?

Thanks,
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:23 am

Man, there is a lot there. I can't really tell you anything outside of what is contained in the HC DVD...

Check the steepest leeward points for your predominant wind for buck beds. Hunt those leeward top 3rd benches/drainages and those saddles during rut...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
ccy333

Unread postby ccy333 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 am

It has been kind of overwhelming to consider all the places that may be buck bedding areas.
I am hoping someone can help me narrow down where to look for these beds with a predominantly South wind and any tips on how to hunt them.
I will be hunting this week-weekend. Supposed to get first two days with south wind, then a cold front and north wind for the weekend.
I have some good spots for North wind and E/W wind, but really dont have any places I feel work great with south wind.

I have a pocket full of milkweed pods and am hoping to really start to see what wind is doing. I will also be walking these 1/3 lines looking for buck beds. Hoping to get a little rain on Friday to do some sneaking around in.

Thanks again for the help.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 am

Under a South wind, I would probably look at the orange areas for bedding and possible stand sites at the red dots...just my opinion

ccy333

Unread postby ccy333 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks Backstraps,

Ill check them out this weekend!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”