New to the site here guys, but hunting on some land that but

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

New to the site here guys, but hunting on some land that but

Unread postby Riverdeer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:01 am

New here guys so bare with me please, I'm 18 and hunting on some land that butts up to a river, it's all swampy ground only 2 major trails that I have found, found plenty of fresh tracks and very few acorn trees, so if u were gonna put a food plot in this ground how would u go about it? I will try to figure out how to post a map picture of the land soon. Thanks for ur help guys

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=35.86627,-90 ... you%20guys.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: New to the site here guys, but hunting on some land that

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 am

I would stick with an annual type crop. The reason being with a perennial the flooding will wipe your crop out anyway. In my opinion turnips/radishes are a good choice. They tolerate wet ground and the deer love them. You can plant them late in the year, after the spring flooding is over. They are very cheap to plant also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 am

Thank you for u comment, did my link work for you?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Welcome to the forum Riverdeer. Turnips and radishes do not like wet ground. I would have to know more, but I would likely put in clover and/or a cereal grain. However, you markers suggest you are on state land. If this is the case you may want to contact your DNR because food plots are generally illegal on public land unless you get permission.

I'm not sure you need a food plot anyway. It looks like they have plenty of good food in the area for nutrition and you mentioned there are very few oaks. This limited supply of a highly preferred food source will likely make these oaks better than a food plot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 am

DEERSLAYER, were inside a leve, im hunting where marker A is, my grandpa is hunting marker B, it was opening day today, hunted with my climber in the area we scouted, tons of fresh tracks but didn't see a deer this morning, and as I said were in side a leve, but its on private ground
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:54 am

Is there ground that stays dry year round? If not, how long does it flood for?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 am

man im pretty sure it stays wet/ moist/swampy for 95% of the year, it gets dry in the dead of summer of course, but the river usualy jumps up with the spring rains and floods it out, today was the first time I had ever hunt it and 2 weeks ago was the first time I ever step foot on the property, id say it stays wet most of the year. thanks for all your help it means a lot, I know some about deer hunting, but im a die hard duck hunter more than anything, im able to be mobile on where I hunt there as I have a summit viper
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:42 pm

It sounds like a summer planting of wheat and alsike clover might work as soon it dries up. You would probably have to plant it every year. You could try planting swamp crab apple trees there too if there are some mounds that stay dry year round.
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Grandpaw missed a 6pt with his crossbow this afternoon, at about 40 yards he said, since there isn't many acorns around, do u think I should get one if those acron drop things u hang frm a tree branch? Can't think who makes it

Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Guys we have some corn out and there eating it, but not just tearing it up

Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 am

heres photos of the land guys, blue and black lines are the land we can hunt and the red circle is where my stand is

Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 am

scouted this chunk of land across a little river run we have permission to hunt this land to, its really thick and I assume that this is a big bucks bedding area, the red circle is the thickest area of brush

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”