Waterhole next to a swamp?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Waterhole next to a swamp?

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 am

I am wondering if anyone has tried putting a waterhole next to or near a swamp, and how it worked out? I feel like if its convenient enough or along the right line of movement it will get decent use. Any thoughts appreciated.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image

BuckTrack81

Re: Waterhole next to a swamp?

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 am

I've put mini food plots in swamps before and had succsess never a water hole, seen them drink from pockets of water in the swamp... So cant help ya there...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 am

Depends on how wet the swamp is, most of them I hunt will have standing water all over the place so a water hole won't be much use there. Now if you have the only swamp in the area and cane make a good watering hole next to a bedding area I think you are on to something.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:31 am

I personally would put my efforts into something other than water next to water. Water works on drought years where there is no water. Food plots work best when your plot offering is more enticing than other food sources. JMHO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks guys, ijust to be a little more clear, it won't be in the swamp, but either just off the edge, up to maybe 100 yards away.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm sure it will work with the limitations Stanley noted. Like any other waterhole, I'd position it within close proximity of bedding but huntable; especially if you have preferred bedding out of the swamp on the "highland". Remember your exit or entrance to it if you plan to hunt over it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm

I have seen water holes work well with other sources of water really close..... The key with early season water holes is to put it near the bedding... If its the 1st water source and at a point where they want to stage they will use it just like the water holes up in the hill county. Exact placement is key...
BIGJEEPMAN

Unread postby BIGJEEPMAN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am

I have 5 water holes and all of them are next to swamps. We have been in a drought for the last 8 years, and by the time hunting season gets here all the swamps and some of the ponds dry up. I have found out that by digging my water holes next to or in low areas that hold water in the spring that they will hold water all year long, some get low but still have some water. All my food plots have water holes next to them.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:52 am

I put one out and its getting used, mostly does and fawns so far but its better than nothing. As the rut kicks in I expect it to be a stopping point for the bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”