My "Farm"

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bbrilmyer

My "Farm"

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 am

Hey Everybody,

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now and I think its time. I'm going to start a thread here and attempt to keep you updated on all the happenings on this little place of mine. I also figured it would be the best means of getting some great answers to my every evolving questions about how to best develop this spot into the best peice of wildlife habitat it can be.

Here it is:

Its 67 acres located in Western Pa. I feel its pretty unique to most of the farms featured here as there is absolutely no agriculture around to speak of, barely even a field! I believe the only reason it still exists and hasn't been developed is due to the dumping that took place here back in the 40's-50's. Its about as thick as can be with the exception southern most 1/3 of the property being your typical mature hardwoods.

Deer numbers are super high but sadly, mature buck numbers are generally super low. But it continues to improve every year. Tresspassing was a huge issue until I returned back from college four years ago with the property being made into a dirt bike/atv park by some of the less than favorable neighbors. They had even went as far as to bring a skid steer onto the place to maintain and blaze some new trails. They surely weren't shy about it.

This year has been my first foray into habitat construction.

75 Gallon Stock Tank Waterhole

Here is an underground spring that I dug out and damed up.

The Snow Fence Experiment: Trying to create a nice and defined funny which is otherwise thick and featureless hillside.

bbrilmyer

Re: My "Farm"

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 am

Some major TSI up on the ridge

Not really habitat related but a nice picture of the pond (always devoid of plant growth?) with my "african hunting hut" that I built this year.

And the last project and the one that I am most proud of is the .50 acre foodplot that I was able to carve out. Its really two .25 acre plots connected by a small trail in the middle (serves as a perfect spot to get pictures). EVERYTHING was cleared, killed, and planted by hand. I have nothing more then a chainsaw, backpack sprayer, walk behind tiller, and luckily a strong back. It was quite a process. The planting was done 1 week ago. I'll be checking up on it again this weekend to see how everything looks. These are just some of the before and after photos. ALOT of clearing had to be done even before these were taken. Trees were cleared using a chainsaw and man power, 300lbs of lime and 10 bags of fert was spread via a grass seeder.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 am

Spreading lime and fertilizer the old fashion way...

Tilled, planted, and dragged.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 am

And here is the most updated picture of one half of the foodplot. What your seeing here is what I got from the first seeding. About a week ago I reseeded a bit to fill in the bare spots. We are finally getting some stead rain so I hope that it continues to fill in.

utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:13 am

Very cool. Good pictorial. Good luck with the hunt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 am

A lot of hard work there. Keep up the good work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 am

Very nice nirvana. If it were mine I'd like to see some thickets on that ridge top. The canopy is probably too thick for the sun to hit the timber floor. Looks like you have a pretty good plan in place.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:41 am

Great looking place- hopefully the homeowners on the fringe don't screw things up too much. It would be great if that ridge could get a little thicker understory but you are certainly on the right track. If you are looking for some good info, check out Jeff Sturgis (member on here). he has a website and a book that are dedicated to timber improvement for hunting. Keep up the great work!
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 am

That is for the reply guys. Its certainly a special place.

The ridge where that picture was taken is about bad as deer habitat you can find..luckily that is only about 25% of the property. The rest is made up of the thickest and nastiest stuff you can find.

Before I started hunting here, the "neighbors" had truly adopted it as their own. They went as far as to POSTING it for themselves and bringing a bulldozer in there to keep all their ATV/dirt bike trails open.

Those trails were sure nice to get around, but they were just to inviting for every other person to come on over and take a walk or ride around. I've never had any poaching problems, but a lot of people just looking to take a walk in the woods. Once those trails were blocked and made impassable, the majority of any trespassing stopped.

It also helps when its only 5 miles away.

BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 am

Nice.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 am

Its been a busy early doe season for me! Another down on Saturday morning:

A few hours later she turned into this!

As for the foodplots....well its sure looking great..inside in the exclusion cages!!

Clearly the deer are using them. The germination still isn't what I had hoped for. I'm going to go ahead and blame the lack of soil prep on my part. I dont think even the rye could break though that ground that had never been worked before. Still, it turned out way better then last years attempt. Each year is getting alittle better. One of those plots was also seeded with red clover that will be tilled under next summer before the rye is reseeded, hopefully that organic addition and some more complete tiller work on my part will help it out

Our general season starts this Saturday but with temps in the 80's I will probably continue my doe patrol.[/QUOTE]

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:32 am

WOW They are pounding your plots! Man congrats on all the hard work, as you know it will pay off! Oh btw, you made my mouth water with your kabob pics!
Congrats on the doe population control efforts too!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:21 am

Outstanding work. Great pics and good looking eats.

Keep up the good work.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:48 am

Hey Everybody..

Just thought I'd throw a little update on.

Three big doe down so far so the freezer is full and happy:

A couple weeks ago I had a heartbreaking chance at this guy:
Buck fever got the best of me. The shot was alittle low and didnt take into account how hard he was quartering to me. Let him sit overnight. After 500yrds on the mountainside and three beds later, we finally lost blood. I never recovered him.

The rut is finally cranking here in Western Pa and the next two weeks should be great. I plan on going to work as little as possible.

Here is pic of the best buck I have ever seen on my farm. Showed up a couple weeks ago:

Put one of my coverts on video mode by mistake...and I don't think I'll ever take a still picture again! Video mode gives you so much more great information! Alittle tedious to go through all the clips but totally worth it in the end.

bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:49 am

Hmmm well it appears that those last two didnt show up as videos..ill work on that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”