New hunting spots never been scouted. Help please

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt3

New hunting spots never been scouted. Help please

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 am

Hey all I have access to a few spots that I have never stepped foot on. I know Big bucks have been killed in these areas in the past and am hoping for some input or ideas where to begin. Below you will find topo and areal photos of each spot as well as borders of the land to be hunted and where other hunters can or can not go. Let me know where you think the best areas to concentrate would be.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Matt

On this land only access is from the south side road with a fence line along the east side separating it from the airport.

On this property access is through the north and west roads.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New hunting spots never been scouted. Help please

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 am

These are some tough spots to predict based on maps and topo's... The 1st topo I can't hardly see the elevation lines. I did some marking on the lower property however, to be sure, these properties would need some footwork.

On this topo the elevation changes look pretty gradual... But I would still check the points off the highest elevation. Based solely on elevation, the spots marked in red are spots I would check for buck bedding.

On the aerial I marked in red some funnels I thought might create some rut traffic. In Blue I marked two spots along the highest elevation line that I would consider for rut sits. The upper green dot looks like a little forgotten patch that might just hold a bruiser cause everyone ignores it... The lower green dot marks a swampy area where I would think there has to be deer bedding. I would suspect bucks to cruise in the timber just to the East of the swampy area.

Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks for the input Dan. I was hoping you would chime in. Sorry the pics suck so bad. I took a couple screen shots of the first area that I am hoping you will look at. I will hit up those other spots to scout out. Also is it to late in the scouting season to bump deer out of those bedding spots? Season starts in another 45 days for me.

Also here is another location I can hunt with more contour lines. This spot is a shotgun location.

Thanks again.
Matt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am

Are the "no hunting" spots, no hunting at all, as in a sancuary? Or no hunting for you, and others are hunting it?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:51 am

No hunting for anyone. They are impact areas on a military installation. Basically lots of exploded/unexploded ordnance in there. Not a good place to go lol.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Buck beds marked in red...

Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks Dan. That is a lot of beds. Where would you suggest for me to look at for stand locations? I need to get my but in there and see which ones are being used.

Thanks again
Matt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Matt3 wrote:Thanks Dan. That is a lot of beds. Where would you suggest for me to look at for stand locations? I need to get my but in there and see which ones are being used.

Thanks again
Matt

I would suggest while your in there confirming the bedding locations you look for the closest set ups in the direction it appears the bucks are moving to stage from there beds... Most of the time I would be set up at the same elevation about 100 / 150 yards from the bed / beds... The spots that have beds on both sides of the points will be the ones most active cause bucks bed there on multiple winds... Spots should be picked based on a "bad" wind... Bucks will bed on those points when the wind is blowing down the point ant the daytime thermal is blowing up the point. So the spots are wind specific.
Thats a great area... I like to judge a spot by the amount of buck bedding potential. A hunting spot can only support as many big bucks as it has spots acceptable for them to bed at...
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Thank you very much Dan. I will let you know when I get in there. I will prob get in there next Friday as that is my first day off....

Thanks again. I appreciate all of your help.

Matt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:40 pm

look forward to your feedback! 8-)
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:49 am

dan wrote: Thats a great area... I like to judge a spot by the amount of buck bedding potential. A hunting spot can only support as many big bucks as it has spots acceptable for them to bed at...

I love this spot to Dan...and your quote is 100% correct!!!

But where I hunt...not speaking for anyone else...this equals A lot of bedding potential for ONE mature buck (making him tougher to hunt) not more mature bucks in the area.

I really like this spot because theres so much going on with concave hubs, convex hubs, mini hubs (crows feet) up high on the ridges connecting the points, benches, funnels, dead zones and endless bedding potential...which can be narrowed down with the above and what he wants NOW, food, does, water, ect...ect...

I have a question for you Dan...Would you still like this area as much if you knew there was only one mature buck there? And could you narrow it down to the five most likely bedding spots based on terrain? Thanks!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:10 am

I have a question for you Dan...Would you still like this area as much if you knew there was only one mature buck there? Thanks!!!

That would depend on the buck... But if it truly only has one mature buck, which don't seem likely to me, but could be possible. It would be tough to hunt because of all the bedding options

And could you narrow it down to the five most likely bedding spots based on terrain?

It is difficult for me to pick out "best" spots without walking the property... Because cover thickness, type, food, and other factors come into play. I know you meant best based on wind and terrain features but I would not want to rule out any of the marked spots...
So, on the following map I picked several spots and color coded them as to what wind direction would be used to bed there...
RED = West wind
Green = North wind
Blue = East wind
Yellow= South wind

The spots that support multiple wind directions would be my suggestions as the "best" spots. It seems to me that bucks feel more secure in spots where a wind shift means they only have to move a very short distance to have secure bedding again.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks Dan!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”