Help needed for rookie.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mo bow hunter

Help needed for rookie.

Unread postby mo bow hunter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:39 am

Attached is an arial of my family farm. I have just gotten into bow hunting in the last 2 years. I had a little sucess in taking a doe and several opportunities on small 2-3 yr old bucks ...nothing panned out. I concentrated on the Western half of the farm last year. Mainly because it is a lot easier to navigate. I currently have 3 hang ons i put up next to esablished trails. I would like some input on what you all see from this arial photo. This is NE Missouri. The mississippi river bottoms are to the East of the property. The fields on the property are in either corn or beans and some of the pasture land is cut for hay. I have a climber and LW alpha with sticks so i am pretty mobile now. I am looking for some input on where i should think about setting up. I think the property should hold some big deer....i just don't know what areas they might be using for bedding. I would estimate the farm at about 400 acres totoal. Pressure is low as there is only 1 other family member who gun hunts. I try to scout, but only end up walking in circles never accomplishing much. Where shoud i look and what exactly should i look for? I'm going back to the farm in a few days to freshen up stand straps and set some trail cams. Any help is greatly appreciated.

copper/albums/userpics/18234/Farm.pdf

backstraps

Re: Help needed for rookie.

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 am

If you could post a topo of your land it will be easier to obtain help. The link for what ever reason didn't open for me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:55 am

I can't view that photo...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Here it is. My eyes must be getting old. I'm having a hard time seeing the lines in the darker areas.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Maybe this will help? I can see but it takes few seconds to load for me.
copper/albums/userpics/18234/Farm.pdf
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
mo bow hunter

Unread postby mo bow hunter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:59 am

thanks for correcting the link ghost hunter. I must have done something wrong on the link to the picture originally. Are there any opinions out there concerning areas i should try to focus on. I know i am late getting out there this year but it is what it is. I'm just looking to improve my odds by positioning my self correctly. I'd also like to try to get a feel for how to read the land to make my scouting opportunities productive in the future. Thanks for any and all help.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 am

mo bow hunter wrote:thanks for correcting the link ghost hunter. I must have done something wrong on the link to the picture originally. Are there any opinions out there concerning areas i should try to focus on. I know i am late getting out there this year but it is what it is. I'm just looking to improve my odds by positioning my self correctly. I'd also like to try to get a feel for how to read the land to make my scouting opportunities productive in the future. Thanks for any and all help.

Huh? Is it just me or is that the same link? :?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:39 am

I will come down and scout it with ya... show u everything I see and where I would hang w/ access for the opp to hunt it with ya during rifle season ;-)

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mo bow hunter

Unread postby mo bow hunter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Both of those links work for me. Can others not see it? If there is another way to post pics other than uploading pic and coping URL let me know. Really looking for some insight here.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:43 pm

mo bow hunter wrote:Both of those links work for me. Can others not see it? If there is another way to post pics other than uploading pic and coping URL let me know. Really looking for some insight here.

No. You have to upload a pic to the Beast photo gallery or a hosting site like photobucket then copy the URL or get somebody else to download it and do it for you like I did. Can't you see the pic I posted for you?
mo bow hunter

Unread postby mo bow hunter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:56 am

I can see the pic you posted . However most of the mark ups I did to the file to show property line,water,stands, are not showing.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Check out the steep areas, the high points, the corners/points jutting out into fields.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”