Chemicals, to avoid Algae build up ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Chemicals, to avoid Algae build up ?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:18 am

C&T Archery wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine about algae issue in ponds and water tanks. He has horse and donkeys and and had the same issue in his tanks. An old farmer told him to put a bag of barley straw in the tanks or ponds. Says he tried it and it works great. He actually gets his from Fleet Farm

Here is a link.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/care-free-enzymes-barley-bag/0000000009114

That was going to be my recommendation. That is what I use and it works very well with no expensive chemical treatments.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 am

C&T Archery wrote:I just bought our at Fleet Farm. There is actually 3 separate bags in the the one large bag. He said he put one in each of his and they last about 2 months and then he changes them out. I asked if he just lets in float. He said his horses and Donkeys will sometimes grab it out, so he sinks it by attaching it to a small brick with a zip tie. For a pond I suppose since it will decompose, you probably do the same, you just wouldn't be able to retrieve your brick, but you could tie it off to something that it's important to recover or have a the brick tied off to something on shore that you can retrieve the brick when you need too. Hopefully this helps answer your question Dreaming

Well, I just got back from visiting my waterhole for the last time of the year until I hunt it. I had a camera on it, and really didn't get much again for nice bucks, but I had to laugh at a couple pics of these deer messing with the barley bags I bought for the waterhole...... it was just like you said the farmer said about the donkeys messing with them....Lol They did leave it there though...

C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:14 am

Dreaming, that is to funny! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

We have had deer hitting our tanks, but none that messed with the bags, so far :)
We did have a doe on video, that was the first to the tanks and it was comical to watch her, trying to get the tanks to move. Blowing and stomping at them. Guess I wasn't as scent free as I hoped when we did it :)
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”