Turning a seep into a more prominent water source

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bbrilmyer

Turning a seep into a more prominent water source

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:21 am

I have a very small spring on my property that I am looking to into a more prominent water source. The volume of water coming out of it now is nothing more then a seep.

I feel that my two best options would be to dig in a stock tank and either dig it into and under the main flow of water or I could hammer a length of PVC pipe into the seep in hopes of funneling the water down the tube and into a tank placed slightly lower on the hillside. Another option would obviously be to simply dig out a much large pool for the water to collect in.

Ideally this would turn into a water hole that I would never have to refill. I have had great success with one 75gallon tank on this property but I typically need to fill it twice a year.

What do you guys think?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Turning a seep into a more prominent water source

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 am

If it's in the"right spot", I would think any of your methods would be pretty easy to implement. If you need to move it to a better kill spot, I think some sort of tile, hose or piping could be used to get water to it. I have a water hole down hill from a road that I installed several years ago. I have a 55 gallon drum just off the road hidden in some pine tress, which has about 100 yards of garden hose running to a plastic tank that I can fill pretty easy right from the road.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:46 am

This one is in a pretty perfect spot as is. I guess I'm just trying to picture how "defined" this water coming out of the ground will be. I just cant seem to picture it. Best if I just get a shovel and find out.

The hose idea is great though. My other water hole is located right off a man made deer trail in a clear cut we created. Funneling the water to the tank would be way less intrusive then using the trail itself to haul 4 ten gallon jugs directly to it. As you can imagine its quite a workout too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:13 am

Damn it into a pond, or dig one... Otherwise your going to have to do maintenance on the pipes or tank.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:27 am

dan wrote:Damn it into a pond, or dig one... Otherwise your going to have to do maintenance on the pipes or tank.

Would it be safe to assume that the soil beneath/around it is capable of holding water? Or what could I do to ensure that it can?

Thanks Dan.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:34 am

If you have constant flow of water now, I would assume it holds water there... You need a clay base to hold water. If you dig a pond and it won't hold water you can seal the bottom with a clay replacement like benzonite.

I would worry more about if your in a draw? If you are, as soon as heavy rains come it will wash your pond out.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:02 am

Location should be perfect. Close to the top of a ridge. Plan on doing some TSI on the opposing ridge and the waterhole will be smack dab in between the new food plots that are going in this year.

I'll post some pics when I get this work done.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 am

Done!

Once the hinge cutting was done for the day, I huffed my shovel and pick axe up the hill and got to work on the new waterhole. I wish I had taken a before picture. It started as a seep that was barely visible from the surface and covered in deadfalls. Now its about a foot deep with a constant flow of water. The soil I was working with was perfect and didn't require anything extra to help maintain its water level. The gravel at the end probably wasn't even needed but I had already carried three bags worth up that horrendous hill so I was going to use them regardless!!

This is the 2nd of two man-made waterholes I have on my 70 acres. The first one has been great so far, accounting for 5-6 doe kills over the past two years. That one however is nothing more then a water tank that needs to be refilled two or three times per year. I will run cams over both this year. It will be interesting to see the difference if there is any.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Looks like a day of hard work... Hopefully it pays off for you.
Running water is much better for deer than the stagnant ponds most of us use... Blue tongue comes from stagnant water sources.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 pm

That is perfect bbrilmyer! I know it's hard work, but I really miss habitat work. It's definitely one of the most rewarding thing's I have ever done.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:That is perfect bbrilmyer! I know it's hard work, but I really miss habitat work. It's definitely one of the most rewarding thing's I have ever done.

Absolutely!

This weekend I'll be creating a blockaide along the upper half of that hillside. The plan is to funnel them away from my entrance/exit route and closer to the water source. Depending on the trees I have available in that area, I may go ahead and try to use some sort of fencing for this job. We shall see.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 am

I may go ahead and try to use some sort of fencing for this job. We shall see.

Last year while scouting a customers property I recommended he put up a double ( double so they don't jump it ) snow fence blockade from his cut lawn to past his tree, and then leave a 20 yard gap and run the fence to the road.

The spot was a great funnel but he was playing cat and mouse with exactly where they would go thru, and getting his scent in there... The fence solved all the issues. He said he had his greatest year ever, and said the biggest buck he has ever seen got thru the opening without a shot. Don't know how he could of had no shot, but I will mark that as a success...
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:13 am

dan wrote:

Last year while scouting a customers property I recommended he put up a double ( double so they don't jump it ) snow fence blockade from his cut lawn to past his tree, and then leave a 20 yard gap and run the fence to the road.

The spot was a great funnel but he was playing cat and mouse with exactly where they would go thru, and getting his scent in there... The fence solved all the issues. He said he had his greatest year ever, and said the biggest buck he has ever seen got thru the opening without a shot. Don't know how he could of had no shot, but I will mark that as a success...

Fencing it is! Its a pretty thick area to begin with but with at least 3-4 trails over the course of about 40yrds that I need to funnel down further on the hill to prevent them from cutting in behind me and crossing my entrance/exit route.

I was thinking about just some T-posts and some bailing wire but I am worried about the visibility of it. I don't want a deer running into it at full steam. The snow fence looks perfect but of course isn't readily available for me right now. But being that this is such a thick area and the trails are so easily defined, would I be better off just felling some well placed trees and branches and stacking them in the right spot?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 am

dan wrote:

I have found that a single height snow fence with the wooden slats (not the plastic with easy to see through holes) does a good job of funneling deer. As long as they can't see through or over it they don't seem to want to jump it unless spooked. I think Dan's method of double fencing is good, but due to it's height I might use the plastic snow fence for some added visibility due to the see through design to help make a mature buck feel more comfortable going through the bottle neck.

Dan, what type of snow fence do you like to use?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:46 am

bbrilmyer wrote:...I was thinking about just some T-posts and some bailing wire but I am worried about the visibility of it. I don't want a deer running into it at full steam. The snow fence looks perfect but of course isn't readily available for me right now. But being that this is such a thick area and the trails are so easily defined, would I be better off just felling some well placed trees and branches and stacking them in the right spot?

You definitely want the visibility. You should be able to get snow fence without too much trouble. I have also found that fencing works more consistently than felling trees.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”