Help with spot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Help with spot

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 am

I am not the best at reading topos but am committed to becoming a better "virtual scouter" during the off season and was hoping for some help as to how some of the experienced beasts look at land before setting foot on it. I have the book Mapping Trophy Bucks and also the Hill Country DVD, but have yet to watch the Marsh Bucks DVD (which would probably help me the most in this spot). I am going to make sure I watch each DVDs a couple times this offseason as well as continue to lurk and observe on this site. With that being said, I found a public spot that I think has great potential but due to family and distance, I have only been able to scout it once and when I did, I forgot my rubber boots so I could't cross the creek to get to the west edge of the property where I think there is next to zero pressure.

The property has a pine plantation (tall Jack pines with briar underbrush) in the very south east corner and that opens up to a flat that has some oak but a lot of maple trees on it. The flat drops off to the creek which leads to a very thick swamp. The south edge of the property is a powerline which is wide and doesn't have much for growth in the cut (typical Wisconsin powerline where you can see forever).

If anyone could explain what they look for and anything that stands out about the property it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Here is an arial of the property that shows the limited ag in the area.

A more zoomed in area of where I would be scouting

and a topo of that area with the dotted line on the bottom representing the power lines.

binney59
500 Club

Re: Help with spot

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 am

This is where I was thinking based on how I think the points should be with my best guess being the point farthest to the right where a point is in close proximity to the creek. Am I on the right track?

Also, the only entrance route I have would be from the East (right).

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

I marked a couple more..

I drew this picture to show how a buck bedding on a point that has a west wind dominance can shift his bed around the point to feel safe with any wind except the rare East wind... Black lines simulate elevation lines. Colored dots are beds, matching arrows are wind directions...

As far as the aerials go, or the swamp on the topo, scout the transitions of cover. Especially around the creek where its swampy, and where fingers of trees go into the swamp.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for the input- I appreciate your time! Glad to see that I was on the right track in terms of selecting some points to start with, I will followup with some scouting and mobile set ups.
Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”