Buying Land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Buying Land

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 am

This spring I anticipate purchasing my first piece of hunting land. I live in Baraboo, WI and I am looking to purchase something moderately close to where I live. For the most part I am looking at Columbia, Marquette, Sauk, Jueau and Adams counties (If you think I should look elsewhere let me know). If you know of any "good areas" like townships ect. that are consistently good that is the kind of information I need. I probably have enough saved to afford a solid "40" that is reasonably priced. Let me know if you guys come across any properties you see for sale that might be worth looking at. Also what should I be looking for in a property? I have my own ideas of what I am looking for, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Also, remember, I am looking at a "40" or so, so it will be a micro property as that is all I can afford.

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Buying Land

Unread postby Dor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 am

What should you be looking at with a 40?

The neighboring property. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 am

Don't get a property that is surrounded by roads. Look for a property in the middle of other good properties. End properties normally are not as good as middle properties. Mature trees and scrub brush combination. All mature trees is better than all scrub brush both monetary and hunting wise. Look for an access from the east. This is an important part of any property in my opinion. Isolated properties are not as good as parcels surrounded by parcels. These are the things I would look for if buying a property.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:19 am

Dor wrote:What should you be looking at with a 40?

The neighboring property. :mrgreen:

Have to agree with this one! You could have the best looking 40 in the world but if your neighbors shoot everything in sight it will make things difficult.

Also some land people might consider lowland junk might be a gold mine for big buck bedding. A lot of my best bedding areas are tax forfeited parcels from back in the day.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:40 am

Neighbors and cover/water... x10

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 am

Bedding cover, access, water source, seclusion, edges or transitions, food sources, neighbors, big buck area, closeness to home...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 am

I think I like Stanley's EAST comment but will have to think on that a bit.
Finished thinking - he's probably right when you look at his wall verses mine... :oops:

I would want good bedding (thick) that you can manipulate / groom after a few years with the property, something w/ a few mature oaks if possible...

Look up TIM, he has a great little piece he bought years back and I'm sure he would be a great resource to pluck ideas from...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I'd look at aerials to see if there are travel corridors. I'm not familiar with the area you mention, is it pretty much solid timber? If not, I'd want a wooded creek bottom running through the property or some other terrain that bucks would follow while cruising for does during the rut. Or some similar type of terrain that bucks would use to look for does or bed in.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 am

My reasons for buying a hunting property would be to kill big bucks... But fore some people it may be to get away, relax, or some other reason... I assume you are like me, so here is my advice if it were me looking.

A property can only hold as many big buck as what it has "big buck bedding areas".... With that said, bedding areas is very important... Making sure you have good access to hunt the bedding areas... Lots of properties have one access and every deer knows when your on the land... The way the bedding is laid out, and how huntable it is, is very important.
Neighbors is a biggie... I would be looking for something on the edge of a "no hunting area" Some of the best properties I have seen but up against a park, city limits, or company land where no hunting is allowed.
The most important thing is to not feel pressured to buy something right away... A lot of guys just go out and buy an average piece of property... Look around till you find a great one.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 am

Don't buy it in NY... :lol:

How do you guys feel about land bordered by state land. I'd like to hear some pros and cons.

My land is on a dead end road. I own all the land on my side of the road. I share one border with state land. And two borders with private landowners. I own the biggest whole piece. One border has no hunters . One private border does have people that hunt, although I haven't actually seen anyone on my land in years. I think they stay on their side.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 am

How do you guys feel about land bordered by state land. I'd like to hear some pros and cons.

I don't see many "Pro's"
There is no limit to hoW many people can hunt the state land... They can drive it, they can shoot anything that legal, every person hunting there wants to shoot a deer, when they get it, the next guy shows... If your deer wander over there its likely to get shot... Public land hunters are more like to break laws, steal, or trespass too... That is not meant as a slam on public guys, just that you know your neighbor and he knows you will notice if he is on your land or does something shady.. Public land guys know that you won't know if it was them, or one of 100 other guys...

I would rather drive 10 miles down the road from my property and hunt public. Good neighbors, low pressure, passing little bucks, or land that does not allow hunting, are the neighbors I would want.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 am

In NY, you have to worry about future developement. We're right on the route north from NYcity. All the a holes from down there come up here and build summer homes. Farms are dying out.

The one good thing about being bordered by state, is that my land is connected to 1000's of acres that can never be developed......
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:14 am

Just saw a property fore sale on Lake Link. Richland county 49 acres with an older farm house. Check it out.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:32 am

I will take a look at the rich land county land, thanks for the tip.

As I go through this process I will post links or maps of properties I am looking at and we can examine them. If anyone finds something I need to look at shoot it to me.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 am

DT - have you talked to the bank yet? If you are buying raw land you will likely need 20% down... on 40 acres even at 3K acre you are looking at 24K up front. If you find something with a house on it like the Richland Cty property you will have a much easier time financing it. Just an fyi

Property income is another thing to take into consideration... if it is inrolled in CREP program or has tillable acreage that will help offset taxes and monthly payments
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”