Land Management - what would you do?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

escpen

Land Management - what would you do?

Unread postby escpen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 am

Here's a picture of our property, with boundary lines superimposed:

To get a sense of the topography, here's the same picture with topo lines in the background:

Note that both snapshots are taken with the top of the picture oriented toward North.

Here's my predicament - 10-15 years ago this property held a lot of deer but doesn't seem to any longer. I think overharvesting has resulted in lower populations all the way around, but I also believe that our habitat isn't what it used to be and, because of this, the deer are bedding elsewhere.

Here's my question - with the following constraints, what would YOU do to make this property more desirable for holding deer?

Constraints/Limitations/Other helpful info:
  1. Total area is about 70 acres
  2. In the first picture, the white line represents a boundary between lower quality hardwoods and pine / brush areas and an area of higher quality, harvestable timber (West of the line); only basic TSI can be done in the harvestable timer area (taking out diseased or dying trees, removing undesirable species, releasing healthier / more valuable trees, etc.)
  3. South East corner of the property is 40+ year old planted pines that have just about outlived their usefullness
  4. Prevailing wind is from the S / SW
  5. Only minimal hunting pressure from the West and the North
  6. Both the property to the West and to the North were heavily logged within the past 5 years
  7. We have permission to plant whatever we want in the fields to the South of our property

After having read Jeff Sturgis' new book, I'd really like to make the deer movement more predictable. It's unclear to me how I would go about doing that, but I'm only on my third time through the book and continue to learn new things each time I read it! ;)

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Land Management - what would you do?

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I think the main issue you have with this property is the lack of preferred bedding cover... I only see one structure that looks good for buck bedding based on elevation and thats in the N.Eastern corner where the property line turns south / S.East.
There is a knob there that looks like it could have good buck bedding. Otherwise I would expect some of the bedding to be along the white line (transition line) on the pine side.
Without removing some trees and making some bedding cover, your property can only hold so much... I would suspect most of the bedding in your area is in the logged areas to the West and North, and is likely why your seeing less deer.
You could try planting food plots, and adding water holes, and that would help some, but bedding trumps those, especially with mature bucks which will prefer safe bedding over ease of getting food or water... If you can't cut, I would find some areas that I could put in small food plots, and I would put in some water holes in key areas.
But thats going to be hard to do, if you can't cut.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Red buck bedding area
Blue water hole

In a perfect scenario you would thin the woods from the bed back to the edge of the water hole to encourage thick growth and daylight movement...

escpen

Unread postby escpen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the feedback. I can cut just about anywhere other than to the West of the white line, but I'm looking to do so in a strategic manner that a) helps the property hold more deer, b) makes deer travel patterns more predictable and c) makes/keeps the property huntable.

With the bedding area / water hole combination you've shown, what would be your recommended access route to be able to hunt that buck given that the prevailing winds are out of the South / South-West? Thanks again!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 am

Ok... Now I understand. I thought you couldn't do any cutting... I will look at it a little better as soon as I get a chance. Im at work right now. If I forget, bump it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Access looks real tough unless you can cross neighbors.

Pink is possible hunting positions

Black is food plots / I would use a good green mixture like deerslayers crimson trail... The plantable fields would be awesome to have in corn and bean rotation and clover. But that could cost you... But a standing bean and corn field each year not being cut would give you a lot more deer on the property.

red is potential bedding... I would thicken up any areas that are starting to mature and have had beds either past or present. I would sell the mature pine area to a logger, or cut it yourself.
I marked in grey around the beds where I would thicken there.

Without actually zooming in on the property, comparing different ariels and/or walking the property, this is educated guessing... so use your best judgement.

Make sense?
escpen

Unread postby escpen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 am

Yes, makes sense. We are able to access our property from the neighbors to the South, not so much on the North side. I'd be willing to cut a trail on the North property line, minimize "improvements" in that area (in the hopes that the deer won't use it much) and access the hunting spots against the prevailing winds.

Thanks again for your input!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:32 am

I would worry a little bit about a north access on the property line screwing up that knob where I marked the water hole. You may want your access to go south of that and then hook up with plenty of room between bedding/hunting spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”