Bedding ? #2

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PASwamper

Bedding ? #2

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:03 am

I placed some yellow dots for possible/likely bedding locations. Am I missing any key spots you would check and are there any you wouldn't bother with or wouldn't really expect bedding? All help is much appreciated. I am basically trying to get a feel for how to scout from the aerial or pick a spot to hunt real quick based on spotting or getting word of a nice buck in the area. I hope this helps others as well. I tried to post another photo but the file got too big, I'll have to make it another post.

GRbeds2e.jpg

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bedding ? #2

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Give us a topo map too... ;)
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 pm

This topo might help a lot more than the first one area i posted!

GRbeds2topo.JPG
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 am

Red and blue are potential beds... Green is potential ambush spots. I am immediately drawn to the isolated areas circled in red that are surrounded by water or muck. Especially the larger one. If you look close you can see a deer trail going from a narrow point in the cattails to the big isolated island... If I were thinking "where would no person go" that would be the area. For that reason I would expect older age class bucks to head there.

PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for the help Dan! I will probably be giving this spot a go or two during the season.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 am

Why did you you select the spots you did? What on the map? I have learned that points are a good spot to look at. But the other areas seem random to me. Just want to get a feel for what you see on a map that makes you think it is a potential bedding area??? Like the three red dots on the right side of the map. What suggests that might be a spot to look at?
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 am

I can tell you what I got from it. Its hard to see on the smaller picture but it is swampier, more water where the three dots on the right are. It looks like the bedding there would be on the cattail points surrounded by the water/muck. The red circles as Dan said are places where you wouldn't expect people to go. And they also provide bedding in the cattail. Its kinda hard in my opinion to pick out from the aerial but narrowing down what might be trees in those cattails could indicate where there is higher ground and a deer bed. Some of the other beds are where you would expect the deer to be just 50 yards or so off of a point heading into the cattails. Ambush locations towards the end of those points. A couple of the other ambush locations are on what looks to be trails coming out of the cattails. I'm not sure about the ambush locations on the far left cause they don't seem to be on any points but if the deer are going straigh from that bedding and heading west to the fields it might be a scenario where you go along that edge until you hit sign and hunt. Thats the best I can describe what I'm getting from it. I'm sure Dan could elaborate and/or correct something I'm not seeing correctly.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Like the three red dots on the right side of the map. What suggests that might be a spot to look at?

If you click on the original image at the top of this post it will enlarge the image. Look close where those three red dots are and you will see some thick vegetation out in the cattails. Thats the kinda stuff that holds good bucks in the marshes I have hunted...

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”