1 food plot, 2 food plots or No food plots ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

1 food plot, 2 food plots or No food plots ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 am

I'm gettin anxious to get into the woods and do something for hunting.Their is a big buck living in this area.I,ve found his sheds,beds, and rubs .I would like to plant 1 or 2 food plots in the area.The 2 areas I have in mind are both about 275 yards from his bedding.The one on the left is a small opening surrounded by pretty dense cover.The one to the right(east) is on the edge of the cover in a overgrown field.Just don,t wanta mess up a good thing. Would I be doing more harm than good ?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 1 food plot, 2 food plots or No food plots ?

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 am

Go ahead and put them in... I think it will help more than hurt. What you planting?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:13 pm

I got a free 25 # bag of Imperial clover and not sure what else. I wanted something else too for late season ,not sure ,some type of red turnip or corn ,maybe soybean.I know the only time i ever saw this buck 2 years ago he came to some soybeans the farmer could,nt harvest,to the south. The deer were going nuts for that small patch of soybeans. It use to seem like corn was a hot ticket during the winter ,but seems like 90% of farmland is corn and wanted to give the deer something their lacking.Maybe them deer are gettin their fill of corn . I,m a rookie on the whole food plot spectrum so just learning as i go.I,ll gladly take any suggestions.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I use to be a real camera freak ,but gettin more cautious about placement.Would I dare place a camera in the plot to the East which is in more of an open CRP type field edge.Don,t want it to bite me in the a** later.The east plot would be an easier access and close to a more human traffic from farmers and such.The other is more remote and don,t want to pollute the area.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:19 pm

This my moblie food plot gear I,ll be useing .
It all fits real nice in my over the shoulder bag.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 am

I would have problem about placing a camera at either food plot... Actually I would recommend it. I would just stay as far away from the bedding areas as possible when placing and checking the cameras.
One thing that seems to work well is to have a set rought you travel to and from the cameras on... The deer will sort of get used to your travel there.
Where do you have your ambush spots picked?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 am

I was thinking about these 2 ambush spots,which are both about 100 yards from bedding.. Unfortunately there are'nt any trees to hang a stand so that,s gonna be tough.I know that deer likes to travel primarily south to food.Any advice ?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:10 am

I too have seen deer ignore soybeans for corn in winter. I just wonder if you could plant enough, to make it to maturity, the deer seem to devour them when there green too. If the plot isn't big enough, they'll be gone before late season. :evil:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:42 am

Small plots would likely work best with clover... I think beans and corn would get devoured. But, food plot wise there are a few on here with more experience than me.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:51 am

Any advice

Here are some additional ambush locations I would consider. (marked in red )
I would try getting your stand into a small tree or bush if there is no trees. Anything to get you slightly elevated, even a few feet helps open up shots to the vitals. If not hunt from the ground.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 am

If you plant clover you must have a way to mow it or it will not last very long after it matures the first time. I'd plant soybeans late in the summer around the last week of July first week of August, that way they should not get too pounded before season starts. One thing about your "tilling" equipment, you might be better off planting a seed that requires little tillage as it is going to take you forever to work the ground with your tools, at least any sizeable plot.
Many companies have "throw and grow" seeds that require very little soil prep.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:46 pm

How big are the plots you want to plant? This will likely decide what you will be limited to planting.

Also, plan on getting a soil test. It IS important to do one for each plot and they are not expensive. The tests will more than pay for themselves in results.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:48 pm

I,m learning a lot about these food plots through trial and error.Unfortunately some has been the hardway! Lungbuster you were right on about taking forever to work the ground .But this area is so heavily hunted that I,m stick with my goal of not useing any powered equipment.I will take your advice about possibly the throw and grow,hopefully I can get a handle on the weeds b4 i try that. Thanx for the tips.
My goal is to establish a plot about 20x40' in a boomerang shape.
What would anyone recommend would be food source that would get hit now and into late season (December).Could i intermix different seeds.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 am

Swampthing wrote:My goal is to establish a plot about 20x40' in a boomerang shape.
What would anyone recommend would be food source that would get hit now and into late season (December).Could i intermix different seeds.

That's a tough one. You will probably have to intermix seeds, to get something the deer will hit now and late season. Soybeans won't work, alone, the plot is just too small. You could try a mixture of clover and turnips. Everyone says turnips are great late season, but I have planted them and deer seemed to ignore them, but I only planted them one year. It may take a few seasons for the deer to work them. I guess you could plant soybeans and corn. They would hit the soybeans early, and the corn later. You could also try soybeans and throw some forage oats out in mid to late Sept. this would get it up and growing for late season. Maybe someone else can come up with some other ideas.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanx for the ideas, I was thinking clover and red top turnips also,when would be the cut-off date for planting those ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”