Advice/Fine Tuning on Public land Spot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Advice/Fine Tuning on Public land Spot

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am

Hey guys. I was shining last night and videotaped two mature bucks close to public eating in some beans at 10pm. I knew public was close by so when I got home I drew up a game plan for that spot. Im limited in the public land spots, becuase most of that is private.

I would be entering from the West on the map, but Im afraid while I walk through that marsh I could kick up deer especially when I get to that bend in the crick where I want to put a stand. I am also assuming where I am at could be a staging area before the bean field to get water.

I have not scouted this area at all. Im assuming the trails and bedding for a NW or N wind.

And suggestions or drawing on the map to help me out would be very helpful. Thanks.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Advice/Fine Tuning on Public land Spot

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:34 am

can you enter using the creek.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:can you enter using the creek.

thats what I wanted to say... but doesnt look like he can. Also, may have a recovery problem being that close to private.
You can't kill em on the couch
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 am

Brandon wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:can you enter using the creek.

thats what I wanted to say... but doesnt look like he can. Also, may have a recovery problem being that close to private.

Yea I realize its really close to the line but my dad knows who owns the land to the NW so I would talk to him about it.

Also I could get to the creek but I would cut across the marsh 150 yards or so to the south of the stand placement with the NW N wind then walk up the creek. Its alot of work I know but it could be worth it. I only plan on hunting this spot once or maybe twice depening upon what happens.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 am

Either now or just before opener it might be worth sitting in an observation stand on the safe side of the marsh and glass the area to see what is happening. The bucks could be bedding in the marsh or right up next to the creek where you plan to hunt. You might not be able to see anything but you could also learn a lot and be able to make a new plan with less guesswork involved.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:38 pm

headgear wrote:Either now or just before opener it might be worth sitting in an observation stand on the safe side of the marsh and glass the area to see what is happening. [glow=red]The bucks could be bedding in the marsh or right up next to the creek where you plan to hunt.[/glow] You might not be able to see anything but you could also learn a lot and be able to make a new plan with less guesswork involved.

Yup...

Like stated, try to get a visual on entry and exit for the bucks so you can pinpoint where they are moving... If not, I would walk in on the north border of the public and find a likely trail they are using and set up and hunt. I would not come in from farther south in the public, you might bump the buck. Hopfully he is bedding on the public. It would be hard to pull him from that ridge to the public...
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:49 am

Im going in tonight to take a look unless the wind isnt right to how i want to hunt it. I would be a fool not to hunt that one buck that I saw. Im coming in to set up on the hillside to the south where the public shoots East and bring my spotting scope. I want to be up high so I can see down into the marsh. Hopefully he is bedded where I can hunt him. I could learn alot like you guys said. I just hope I dont screw anything up. Any advice on this? Im not sure how to do this.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”