Possible stand sites/access routes

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ALbowhunter

Possible stand sites/access routes

Unread postby ALbowhunter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:29 pm

This is a small, 40 acre piece of private family land that I have hunted some but know very well from scouting. Not much to work with, but would like to get everyone's take. It's always seemed that deer pass through this property, but not many stay there all the time. I may be wrong. Really would like to get your thoughts on the best stand sites. If you have any questions, let me know. I know the property very well, but am just now looking at it differently since being on this forum. The road on the south side of the property is not accessible. It's a quarry road that is gated. Wish I could access it that way. I've always thought the decent bucks I've got pictures of come from across that quarry road. Sorry to be long winded. Thanks so much!

ALbowhunter

Re: Possible stand sites/access routes

Unread postby ALbowhunter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:59 am

Meant to include that the majority of this property (east, west and south lines) has old barbwire fence around it. The small blue line on the west side is an open gate that a decent deer trail goes through. The yellow lines/box to the west of that gate is a steep plateau (probably 25-30 foot high) that doesn't show any elevation on the topo. There's a good deer trail that goes up the east bank of it. You can see the short, thick brush around the plateau. I found an area on that east side a couple years in a row that was about a 15 foot circle of probably 15-20 rubs. I assumed it was a staging area, but not sure.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 am

I put a red dot where I assume your best buck bedding area would be located at... I put two blue dots in ambush areas. The key is to get close, but not too close.
If the bucks are dropping ( heading North ) you would have to set up farther back to avoid being busted by the thermals. If you access, or walk below that bedding point the buck will see or smell you and leave. Access needs to come from the south. You could swing around from the West side of the property though, and get south of him..

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 am

Looks like there could be a funnel (rut) on either side of the pond?

ALbowhunter

Unread postby ALbowhunter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks Dan, I really appreciate it. I've seen beds on that point before (a little bit thick on top), but thought they were doe beds. I'm going to check it out again soon. I've seen rubs that run right through the hillside where you put the ambush points. Dead on. Can't wait to hang a stand. Can you explain what you mean if a buck drops (heading North)? I assume you mean either bedding or traveling further down the hillside, but want to make sure.

Also, based on that red dot, would he mainly bed there on a South prevailing wind facing North? Maybe he's bedding across the South quarry road on a North, NE or NW wind? Seems like I'd only need to sit those ambush areas either on a SE (left blue dot) or SW (right blue dot) wind. Just wanting to make sure I understand correctly.

Thanks so much again!
Chris
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:03 pm

I would say a you might find bucks bedded there all the time if left undisturbed, but the oldest bucks will likely bed there when the wind is out of the south, south/west, Or south/east. You may get bedding out of a straight west, or straight east wind as well... But not on a north wind typically...

Can you explain what you mean if a buck drops (heading North)? I assume you mean either bedding or traveling further down the hillside, but want to make sure.

When he leaves his bed if he heads north, or goes downhill...

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”