Need help with possible buck bedding areas on this property

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gatorbait42

Need help with possible buck bedding areas on this property

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Hunted this property for the first time last year with little success. I have a ton of pics of mature bucks but, very few actual daytime sightings. Keep in mind there is a lot of human activity on this property and the property to the south but it's not hunting activity. If some of you folks don't mind pointing out possible bedding areas I would appreciate it.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.9757, ... &n=0.5&o=t
I can hunt pretty much anything north of the road on the south end of the property,east of the pond on the west end,west of the power line right of way, to the white house and barns on the north end. Thanks

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Need help with possible buck bedding areas on this prope

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Part of your daylight issue might be because your neighbor to the West has some really good bedding cover in comparison to yours. They might be bedding over there.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:07 pm

If they are on your property, here are some likely spots
gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Dan in the pic you posted of possible bedding areas there were several big rubs in the block on the west edge of the power line last year, I had a stand where you placed the dot just to the north east of that block across the right of way. Had a cam set up on the H structure to the north and got several different bucks but all night time photos. I would agree with you the neighbor to the west has better bedding, but no crops, which is why I have night pics of these bucks. What would be the best access to the beds you pointed out. I can only access them from the north and south. Predominate wind is usually sw, but as you can see it is very open around most of those possible bedding areas.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:02 am

You may be better off sitting back with optics and figuring out a plan by watching them come out of those open area beds... coming up tree lines while paying attention to wind and setting up along a treeline close might give you the cover to get close. Going across open woods, or open field will likely get you busted.
Getting them when the acorns are dropping might work too... I think getting them when they stand up and feed 10 yards in front of the beds in crops might be tough, but if they make a move for acorns or another food and you can get as close as possible in the direction they are making the move, game on.
If all else fails, go in early in the morning and set up right over the bed and wait for him to return.
But that would likely work better if you already had the beds scouted out in post season and new exactly where to hang your set and access it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”