Hinge cutting

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hinge cutting

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:44 am

Good advice Ken...
If I may take that one step further... It don't hurt to run your plan past a couple friends, or the Beast members to make sure your not missing something. Sometimes we over look the simplest things.

fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm

i tend to agree with Stanley about the trees. i personally could never do hinge cutting on my family's farm. it just looks so bad. the same as letting the fields go wild with brush and saplings. although great for hunting the property value suffers. definately check with the state dept. of conservation/DNR about the pro forester coming in for consultation. MO offer this exact service
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Just a tip.....when you get the forester to come out, have 2 color aerial photos, good sized ones. One for him to mark up as you walk, and one for you to mark as you walk. Also, ask him about conservation programs. Often there are local conservation groups that provide services/grants/money/seed to improve habitat (such as grouse ulimited, pheasants forever, NWTF). These can be good programs to take advantage of, and the forester will be able to put you in touch with any such local groups who may/may not be helpful.
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 am

Here is a topo map. I have marked off the area that I own and would like to make improvements to.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=40.08099,-94 ... cFall%20MO

The older bucks I saw crossed the saddle by the "C" marker and continued west to the next ridge where there seemed to be thicker bedding. I would like to scout the land to the west of me to get a better idea of why I'm seeing the movement I am seeing but so far I have not had luck contacting the land owner to get permission.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:11 am

You will have to crack some eggs to make the omlette...and the forester is sound advice but foresters focus on trees...not deer....what are your goals? Start there.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”